jack dempsey

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alex_*

Guest_alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

can i keep a JD in a 40 gallon breeder tank if i can what other fish can live with it? thanks

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:00 PM

can i keep a JD in a 40 gallon breeder tank if i can what other fish can live with it? thanks

I just want to make sure you are aware that this is a North American natives forum. You now have three topics that involve exotic, though invasive, species and these discussions are outside of the realm of discussion here. If you have questions regarding their invasive nature or status, we would be glad to address this. If you simply have aquarium husbandry questions involving exotics, there are countless other forums and websites that should be able to help you out.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

Try him with Pumpkinseeds or bluegill.

#4 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

Technically, Jack Dempseys are North American natives being from South Mexico and south of there. However, as stated above, this probably isn't the best place to be asking basic cichlid husbandry questions. We deal, mostly, with fish that are not standard tropical "trade" fish, but fishes that can be found in your neck of the woods.

To answer your question, yes a JD can be kept in a 45 breeder (that's what you have). As a native fish enthusiast and former local fish store employee, I would recommend our native sunfishes, instead.

Edit: Irate just beat me to it... If you throw a sunfish with your Dempsey, you'll be calling the sunfish a Mike Tyson. Let me know what type earns that name, I'll try to work it into my lingo.

Edited by rjmtx, 11 August 2009 - 09:40 PM.

#5 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:57 AM

Hey, you might go to this forum for more questions about cichlids, which seem to be what you are interested in keeping: www.cichlid-forum.com

This forum is for keeping fishes which are found in North American waters - you are asking questions about fish which are from Central and South America - are aren't really within the scope of this webforum.

HTH

#6 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

Hey, you might go to this forum for more questions about cichlids, which seem to be what you are interested in keeping: www.cichlid-forum.com

This forum is for keeping fishes which are found in North American waters - you are asking questions about fish which are from Central and South America - are aren't really within the scope of this webforum.

HTH

To clarify: Here is North America http://en.wikipedia....rth_America.svg

Grant it we generaly think of the US as north america and the norm for what we speak of on this site. Generaly we speak of fish we can catch our selves without traveling as far south as the Panama Canal.

I have a forty breeder and for the one that said he has a forty five I was wondering if you are personal friends with that person and know what he has or do you have some inside info that a forty breeder is actually forty five gallons.

As far as the Jack Dempsy I would think that something like a Pickeral would go in the same tank. Grant it your tank would be maxed out with the two fish. (my opinion) Depending on the sunfish the Dempsy may not be able to live up to its name.

Maybe some clarifacation by the thread starter should be added. Are you interested in keeping fish you can catch in the US if not then maybe the afformentioned forums are where you need to proceed to.

Kind Regards,
Daniel

Edited by nativecajun, 19 August 2009 - 09:24 AM.

#7 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

I have a forty breeder and for the one that said he has a forty five I was wondering if you are personal friends with that person and know what he has or do you have some inside info that a forty breeder is actually forty five gallons.

I'm the one that said he has a 45 breeder. My inside information is from another post he made where he gave the dimensions. 36" x 18" x 16" is almost 45 gallons. If it were two inches shorter, it would be closer to 40 gallons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users