Identification Guide for Freshwater Snails of North America

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

Recently, I have began trying to learn and identify the snails that inhabit Illinois. I can usually get it down to genus without much trouble, but I am having trouble finding anything that will aid in identification down to the species level. Do any of you know of a good book that helps in the species identification of freshwater snails?

Thanks,
Blake

Edited by blakemarkwell, 15 August 2009 - 07:07 PM.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

The natural history museum at the University of Florida has a web site that includes a huge section on N.A. freshwater snails. I don't have the URL, but if you track down the museum it's easy to find. As you probably know they're still a poorly understood group, and I can't recall seeing anything like a comprehensive book for them.

#3 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:38 AM

best out there (which isn't saying much) are:

Burch, J. 1982. North American freshwater snails: Identification keys, generic synonymy, supplemental notes, glossary, references, index. Walkerana 4:1-365.

Burch, J. 1988. North American freshwater snails: Introduction, systematics, nomenclature, identification, morphology, habitats, distribution. Walkerana 2(6): 1-80.

Keep in mind that much of our understanding of diversity and systematics has changed since these came out...

There's also a couple folks at the Field Museum that are actively working on fw gastropods of IL; ask Uland for Stephanie's contact info and see if she can provide you with some more direction.

hope this helps.

#4 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Bruce and Dave,

I have went out collecting with Stephanie quite a few times, she is the one who got me interested in snails and I will have to ask her for more literature. I appreciate the input and will have to check Burch out.

Blake

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

http://www.cofc.edu/...a/fwgnahome.htm
Here's a work-in-progress from Rob Dillon at College of Charleston. It's mainly Atlantic slope species so far, but they're adding other regions. Snails can change a lot as they grow, so its easy to confuse young of one sp. with adults of a smaller sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users