Need a mask and snorkel

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

I finally got a chance to take some underwater pictures today. It was fun, but my technique could use improvement. I stuck the camera under water and pointed at the fish and shot, no focusing attempted. I took enough pictures that I accidentally got some sort of decent ones.

I need a mask and snorkel so I can get underwater with the camera. Where's a good place to get one? I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I don't want something so cheap it will make me mad when I try to use it.

Schnipkebluegills1.jpg

Schnipkebluegills2.jpg

Schnipkebluegills3.jpg

Schnipkebluegills4.jpg

#2 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

You should sticky this so we can refer all the people to it who say "I want a sunfish tank so I'm going to go get some bluegills."

Nice pictures, but they're sure ugly fish, aren't they?

#3 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

Go to a scuba shop. Expect to spend about 50 or more for a mask and snorkel. If you buy a mask at Walmart make sure the lens is tempered glass and not plexi.
I spent 1/2 today snorkeling. Your gonna love it.
:)

#4 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

You should sticky this so we can refer all the people to it who say "I want a sunfish tank so I'm going to go get some bluegills."

Nice pictures, but they're sure ugly fish, aren't they?

Good idea! They are unattractive compared to most of our other native fish.

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

Go to a scuba shop. Expect to spend about 50 or more for a mask and snorkel.

I can do that. I'll be able to get someone to help me fit it there.

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

Is there such a thing as a mask that fits over glasses? I don't wear contacts, and my eyes change too often for me to consider a prescription mask. Going without glasses isn't an option either - things get blurry about 8-10 inches from my nose...

#7 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:41 AM

Go to a scuba shop. Expect to spend about 50 or more for a mask and snorkel. If you buy a mask at Walmart make sure the lens is tempered glass and not plexi.
I spent 1/2 today snorkeling. Your gonna love it.
:)

This is a good point. When going to TN for a weekend, I ran to Walmart and bought a mask/snorkel. It's 'ok' for $12, but I get water under the nose and it fogs up badly, eventhough it said 'anti-fog' on it.

#8 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

Is there such a thing as a mask that fits over glasses? I don't wear contacts, and my eyes change too often for me to consider a prescription mask. Going without glasses isn't an option either - things get blurry about 8-10 inches from my nose...

Get a mask with snap-in prescription lenses. They fit into clips inside the main glass of your mask. The lenses aren't custom ground for you, they're pre-made in half-diopter increments. Just go to a dive shop and ask. I'm planning on doing that myself real soon now. I can't quote you on cost, though. Not yet. I'm expecting under $100, but I may be wrong.

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

Divers Direct has always been a reliable website for my needs. Dive shops can be a bit pricey at times so I'd shop around. I've been lucky to find a great local one, but in the past I've seen some major rip offs. There are snorkel masks that are a bit cheaper than dive masks but they limit your peripheral field.

#10 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for all the advice!

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

Get a mask with snap-in prescription lenses. They fit into clips inside the main glass of your mask. The lenses aren't custom ground for you, they're pre-made in half-diopter increments. Just go to a dive shop and ask. I'm planning on doing that myself real soon now. I can't quote you on cost, though. Not yet. I'm expecting under $100, but I may be wrong.

Sweet. I'll have to give that a try. Years ago, I had snap-in glasses for my work respirator (when I worked in haz waste), but they were still by prescription. I'll have to look for the pre-made option. I'm sure they won't be quite as good as prescription (I've got astigmatism, too), but underwater it may not be very noticable.

#12 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:50 PM

Sweet. I'll have to give that a try. Years ago, I had snap-in glasses for my work respirator (when I worked in haz waste), but they were still by prescription. I'll have to look for the pre-made option. I'm sure they won't be quite as good as prescription (I've got astigmatism, too), but underwater it may not be very noticable.

They should be fine, I bought a dive mask with the prescription snap in lenses 10 years ago. I have changed my glasses due to prescription changes 3 times since then but haven't bothered to change out the lenses in my mask yet. I'm just not looking at things far enough away under water for it to make that much difference. I'm near sighted though so that may not be the case for everyone.

#13 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

Divers Direct has the prescription lenses, but only to correct near-sightedness.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users