90G Tank

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BobB_*

Guest_BobB_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:12 PM

I have been a fish keeper for decades (oops) from African Cichlids to Discus and everything in between. I would like to setup a 90G Native Tank but need recommendations. What would U recommend?

Happy Holidays

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:16 AM

First off, welcome to the forum!

A 90G is a nice sized tank to start with natives. Are you thinking more of a community tank or a predatory species tank? I'd recommend a community style tank as you will find more enjoyment in it in my opinion.

#3 Guest_BobB_*

Guest_BobB_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:25 AM

I think a community setting, I was thinking dwarf sunfish what else would you recommend?

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:45 AM

By dwarf sunfish, do you mean the Enneacanthus spp? If so, you can probably keep banded and bluespotted sunfish with topminnows and various shiners as well as darters.

#5 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:14 AM

The first thing you need to do, IMHO, is update your profile to include your location. Then we might have a better idea of what may be available in your area to work with. If there's somebody near you, you might even find somebody willing to collect with you.

You could fit an awful lot of dwarf or small sized sunfish in a 90 gallon tank. With a tank that size to work with, I would prefer regular sized sunfish. Pumpkinseeds, longears, bluegills, greens, redbreasts, etc. You can mix in a couple of other species too to keep it interesting. I have a yellow perch with my sunfish. Maybe a crappie? And you really have to have some sort of catfish in there IMHO. There are various other ideas that can be kicked around, depending on where you live or can collect, or if you arrange some trades. I might have a spare central longear or two for you. There are some good sellers here also; check out the "Commercial Vendors" section of the forum.

Like I said, tell us where you are (preferably by updating your profile), and you will get some suggestions tailored to where you live. Welcome aboard.

#6 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:35 AM

I think a community setting, I was thinking dwarf sunfish what else would you recommend?

I also think that a community aquarium of smaller species is the best way to go. You can cover all of the niches with unique fishes. I would suggest one of the topminnows for the surface, a school of shiners for the midwater area, Enneacanthus spp., madtoms and or pirate perch for the hiding spots, and darters for the substrate. This tank would make a stunning display.

#7 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:39 AM

That would be a pickerel and warmouth tank for me...plain and simple! Oh and maybe some rockbass...because those are really cool. Haha

Chad

#8 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

I have a community setup in my 125 gal tank

orange spots
various shiners
speckled madtoms
fatsleepers
and recently a few sailfin mollies

they seem to be getting along ok

they all eat floating food, and love the bloodworms once a week or so

#9 Guest_blaze88_*

Guest_blaze88_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:38 PM

orange throated darters are cool

#10 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:47 AM

On those sailfins up there if you do not include a vegatable source I think your enjoyment of them will be very short. They constantly nip at algea in the wild and that is the bulk of their diet. Some boiled lettuce/vegatable based flakes etc. And hard/salty water. They are a bit touchy to keep in my experience but so nice to have. I grew up in southern Louisiana and used to catch them as a kid. I was recently down there and caught many large adults and young. Did'nt even bring them home. To finicky for me. I like things you just add water to and eat what ever you drop in the tank. I just brought bantams home from my recent trip to Louisiana and I was really suprised that what ever I threw in the tank from day one they devoured. Frozen blood worms/brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms, small cichlid pellets, flakes you name it they eat it.

#11 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:09 AM

On those sailfins up there if you do not include a vegatable source I think your enjoyment of them will be very short. They constantly nip at algea in the wild and that is the bulk of their diet. Some boiled lettuce/vegatable based flakes etc. And hard/salty water. They are a bit touchy to keep in my experience but so nice to have. I grew up in southern Louisiana and used to catch them as a kid. I was recently down there and caught many large adults and young. Did'nt even bring them home. To finicky for me. I like things you just add water to and eat what ever you drop in the tank. I just brought bantams home from my recent trip to Louisiana and I was really suprised that what ever I threw in the tank from day one they devoured. Frozen blood worms/brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms, small cichlid pellets, flakes you name it they eat it.

I the tank is high light and there is always a little bit of algea trying to grow, so i think they are ok. If they start looking skinny i will get some veges for them to eat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users