YOY Goldeye

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hey I am wanting to try goldeye (or mooneye) in an aquarium, but I have never ever found a young one less than 6 inches. I have found tiny rock bass, sm bass, perch, pike, and other things, but I can't seem to get my hands on a little goldeye.

So, anyone know what habitat to start looking in? I want them to be shorter than 6, so I don't think angling will work...

#2 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

apparently the young will be near their parents for the first couple of months, interesting. :-k

#3 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

apparently the young will be near their parents for the first couple of months, interesting. :-k

what? well now how do I get one? tiny hook while fishing for the big ones? :blink: Hmm...this will be an interesting endeavor to say the least. I'd love to find a little one. They are quite a cool looking fish, and it'd be interesting to observe one or 2 at home.
Thanks.

#4 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:15 PM

Young Hiodon can be very abundant in backwater channels immediately adjacent to the mainstem of large rivers. The best approach to get a bunch is a small seine, though the mid- and large sized ones are fun to fish for. I kept several juveniles for a while while I was in Missouri, they require lots of food (or they quickly become emaciated and die) and have a tendency to jump... keep a lid on!

Good luck and keep us informed of how things work out.

#5 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

so I am looking for a small tributary to the river I know has hiodon? do they prefer weeds or do they sit out in the open of the tributary? I just bought a seine, so this might be its first mission.

Thanks

PS
Daveneely, I am curious as to your experiences (tank size, fish behaviour, feeding, etc) do you have any pictures?

#6 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

so I am looking for a small tributary to the river I know has hiodon? do they prefer weeds or do they sit out in the open of the tributary? I just bought a seine, so this might be its first mission...
Daveneely, I am curious as to your experiences (tank size, fish behaviour, feeding, etc) do you have any pictures?

Not tributaries; look for shallow side-pools or backwater areas in channel of turbid main river that are either connected on one end or connected during high water, and which are not heavily vegetated. Look for clear sand or fine pea gravel. They're not usually in heavy vegetation; only time of year that I have found this to not hold is late winter (Jan/Feb in Missouri) when they congregate in flooded terrestrial vegetation to spawn.

I kept a couple in a 55 in my basement for a year or two, and some more in a somewhat larger tank in the Bio Dept on a more short-term basis. They figured out frozen bloodworms (my default darter/community food) pretty quick, and opportunistically mowed on some smaller minnows that I'd hoped to rear. I hate taking photos of live fish in aquaria, much prefer them knocked out with 222 or dead, but I think there's some photos in the NANFA Gallery (including a habitat shot of excellent Hiodon habitat on the lower Missouri River) under Dave Neely/Fishes of Missouri...

I caught some larger adults and a bunch of juveniles on the mainstem North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton, AB a few years back. I suspect you'll be able to get plenty in rivers this size near you...

Edited by daveneely, 24 August 2009 - 05:54 PM.

#7 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

Thanks! I got the big murky red river near me ('tis the watershed I am in), I know of a spot where it kind of has an inlet that goes about 30 feet in. Clearer water (i would NEVER enter the red), no current. Caught some walleye and sauger there a few weeks ago. It isn't too deep, either. Sound about right (as long as the walleye didn't pick them all off)?

Most of my rivers here are deep and murky. I actually only have one go to place for darters, because its the only clear, shallow, riffley area I could find.

Thank you so much again, the info is great. I hope to succeed!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users