A Couple IDs From NH Trip

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

Josh was wondering what these were....i thought common shiners at first..but not sure now...these were caught in the Connecticut drainage in southern nh

2 different fish

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

Josh was wondering what these were....i thought common shiners at first..but not sure now...these were caught in the Connecticut drainage in southern nh

I wish I had my copy of Freshwater Fishes of New Hampshire on me as I suspect the black spot before the dorsal fin could be an identifying trait on the bottom one. Which looks slightly creek chubbish, which is odd as i remembered them reflecting blue like commons when we netted them.

I found an online fish gallery here http://www.fws.gov/n...llery/index.htm and it looks alot like the lake chub, but they are only in the northern most part of the drainage IIRC so not likely to be it. Now i get a close look i almost want to say creek chub due to the greyish line and brownish back.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:09 PM

2nd and 3rd pic looks like juvenile Creek Chubs. I'm not sure about the first one.

#4 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

Just guessing here Bumpy but the first fish looks like a Lythrurus genus to me but beyond that, I could not begin to tell you.
The second fish resembles Sand shiner (N. stramineus) but a better photos would be needed. I can only hope to give a little direction on the last fish.

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

A new picture will be hard. All 5 were eaten overnight by my eels :)

#6 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

That first pic is very interesting... Look at the size of that eye!!!

#7 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

Why does this fish remind me of Opsopoedus emiliae, pugnose minnow? I can't help but see the drop at the base of the dorsal fin, dark black around anal area, small upturned mouth, short snout, and that huge eye.
It is not a textbook picture... and the distribution is off... so I doubt ..hmmm... anybody else??

#8 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:14 AM

This may sound odd, but is their a chance the first one is just an emaciated creek chub with a damaged dorsal fin?

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:35 AM

Lots of answers are things that are not/should not be possible. I'd go with common shiner and fallfish. I say fallfish only over creek chub because from the orientation of the fish in the pictures it is incredibly hard to see the nape scales, but they do not appear to crowd or get smaller. Juvenille fallfish typically have the dorsal stripe and many minnows right now are in the 20-35 mm range.

#10 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:48 AM

The size of that eye is crazy... Even the juvies (fallfish and c. chub) I have seen haven't had such a huge eye. And this fish seems to be fairly well developed already.... I dunno, maybe it is just a function of a different distribution

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users