fast Cycling new tanks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

my last few tanks i started doing what i call "fast cycling".
when i am board with one tanks aqua scape and need a change i wait until i start up a new tank then i remove some of the gravel and add it the smaller tank plus i remove the filter media to use in the new filter.on my 55 gal, tanks i use 2 filters 1(aqua110)and 1 canister filter Eheim i do a 50% water change on the old tank and fill the new tank with this old water add fish.this has stopped the white cloudy water i would see in the past,does this bypass the longer cycle time?

#2 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

Yes, that'll eliminate a cycle if you don't go overboard with the fish stocking. I did this all the time when I was breeding fish with no ill effects. I generally take an old filter sponge and place it in the new tank. This is one of the many reasons to run multiple filters on a tank. The substrate and water usually don't hurt, either, unless they are carrying something you don't want in your new tank.

#3 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:17 AM

Using materials from already established tanks to cycle a new tank? Yeah, people have been doing that for over 30 years.

The only problem I have found is that using "old water" really isn't as effective as using other materials (gravel, filter material, etc.)

#4 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

I always do this. Once you get one tank fully cycled, you never have to do it again. I keep an extra sponge filter in one of my tanks, too. That comes in handy sometimes.

Old water isn't as effective as filter media, there is bacteria in the water, just not nearly as much as in the filter media. It does help though.

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

sounds like everyone covered this...i do this to...just i dont add my water.

#6 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

good so when i breakdown my tank to start my move to the new place ill be ok? and right now i use black aquarium gravel will that be suitable for natives?

#7 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

Ok thank you. i was just wondering its about the same thing i use to do on my bait tanks
but now its just on a much smaller scale.as in filter and tank volume.

#8 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

Sonix - when moving, treat filter media and gravel as you would a live fish. Keep it wet at all times and you'll be fine.

Gravel is gravel.

#9 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:19 PM

Sonix - when moving, treat filter media and gravel as you would a live fish. Keep it wet at all times and you'll be fine.

Gravel is gravel.

ok sounds good. this is a nother reason i want to switch to native it will be easier to re do the tank. was nervous at first this is my first tank move.

#10 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:00 AM

I resently moved 4 tanks with fish i keept the media with the fish in a airated box.
Only lost one blue dempsey tuchey fish anyway. they spent 8 hrs in the box.

#11 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:49 PM

Using materials from already established tanks to cycle a new tank? Yeah, people have been doing that for over 30 years.

The only problem I have found is that using "old water" really isn't as effective as using other materials (gravel, filter material, etc.)

Gene,

No need to be sarcastic. He was asking a simple question. How is anyone going to learn anything if they don't ask??

Tony,

I've been "fast cycling" for a few years. You have to be careful, though, about your initial fish load. If you add too many fish, you can still have problems. Also, as I think a poster mentioned earlier, it's best to add as much material from the cycled tank as possible. Filter cartriges, gravel, and the like. Best of luck!

Brian

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users