First timer to minnow traps

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:26 AM

I never used a minnow trap. From my research I plan on tossing it in some weeds, 2-3 feet out from shore. Tieing to a tree to retrieve of course, and using dog food for bait.

I researched and found a list of fish found in the reservoir. These are the ones I would like catch in the trap:
Black Nose Dace
Blunt Nosed Minnow
Mosquitofish
Cutlips Minnow
Fallfish
Golden Shiner
Spotfin Shiner
Spottail Shiner
Tesselated Darter

Now I do not necessarily have to have all of them. Just a nice mix of shiners, minnows, and darters is what I want to accomplish. It's going to be a semi planted 75 gallon stream tank with a power head concoction I found on here.

http://www.loaches.c...G/image_preview
http://www.loaches.c...G/image_preview
A lot of rocks, driftwood, and a few low light plants.

My question is, is it realistic to think I can catch all of these fish in a minnow trap? From what I researched I am unclear about the darters but am sure the other fish will be no problem. Also is dog food the best bait for this list of fish, if not any other suggestions?

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:04 AM

hey man. welcome to the forum..

i do not think that you will get the darter in the trap.. i still have not caught one fish in my minnow trap. hopefully you will. where are you from?

#3 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:14 AM

hey man. welcome to the forum..

i do not think that you will get the darter in the trap.. i still have not caught one fish in my minnow trap. hopefully you will. where are you from?

I am in Baltimore County county Maryland. A lot of reservoirs, marshes, etc. due to the proximity to the Chesapeake I have a lot of options.

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

be patient and try many different spots and you'll probably catch most of what you're looking for. I do, however, agree with Justin that you probably won't catch any darters in a minnow trap.

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:49 AM

Minnow traps are fun, i used one twice. The first time i used catfood for bait and caught a bullhead. the second time i used bread for bait and caught a sucker.

#6 Guest_GreenLakeYak_*

Guest_GreenLakeYak_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

I haven't had any luck with minnow traps in a larger lake yet, but when going to a small stream or small pond they worked a lot better for me.

I was using bread for bait, mostly caught green sunfish and creek chubs. I'll be trying out the traps in different locations on the big lake soon.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

Try a small can of cat food with the lid just slightly cracked. It's not a subtle scent in the water.

#8 Guest_serialkilli_*

Guest_serialkilli_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

I actually did catch a tesselated darter in small stream here in PA once. It sure was a surprise to me but just wanted to let you know it can happen.

#9 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:36 AM

Lozgod,

Is your tank set up yet? Any more pics?

Brian

#10 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

Lozgod,

Brian

I'd like to see an update too. Do you have any closer pics of the plumbing into the powerheads. I'm planning out a 125 gallon and plan on doing the same powerhead circulation as you have done. How is that working out for you? Did you put your powerheads at the same height?

#11 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

I have caught darters in traps,

also:
crawfish
shrimp
sunfish fingerlings (red spots)
madtoms
pirate perch

I used dried cat food as bait

i have also caught stuff with out any bait

#12 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

Lozgod,

Brian

Go to Show and Tell section. I got 2 threads. My 75 Gallon was the first thread and the pics suck. The water was still cloudy and all. I started a new thread with way better pics. It's titled, Lets Try This Again.

#13 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:08 AM

Have done so. Thanks!

Brian

#14 Guest_GreenLakeYak_*

Guest_GreenLakeYak_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

Use bread balled up and stuck in the trap, I found that it gets me more fish. I've gotten green sunfish, creek chubs, common shiners, mudminnows and bullheads in traps.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users