Small Suckers

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

What sucker fish are there that don't grow beyond 3-5 inches. I am deciding on what fish to put in my 75 gallon river/stream tank. The river/stream part is still up in the air. Definitely leaning in that direction though.

Planning on top minnows, shiners, darters, shrimps, and a couple suckers. Problem is I am having trouble finding a sucker fish that isn't going to out grow the other fish. Doesn't have to be native to my area (Maryland), I will purchase if possible.

Suggestions?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

Suckers can be tricky to keep in captivity, since it's hard to give them the right amount of the right food (apparently). You might consider a similar non-sucker, like a stoneroller, whose food needs are not so different from most other "shiners".

#3 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

I don't know of any sucker species that stay small, but i have no problem keeping a hog sucker and a white sucker. the white sucker is very timid but i copmpensate by overfeeding (and compensate for that by frequent water changes).

#4 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

How about suckermouth minnows? Are they hard to care for?

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:35 AM

I've wondered the same question. I'd like to have a 'sucker' type fish as well that won't outgrow a 75 gallon.

Is the streamline chub a 'sucker' type minnow? I've only seen a couple of not go good pics and it appears like it has a suckermouth.

#6 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:02 AM

You might consider creek chubsuckers. They're native and locally common in Maryland, do much better in captivity than most other suckers, and will stay relatively smallish (would be fine in a 75). They're not as skittish as many suckers, either.

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

How about suckermouth minnows? Are they hard to care for?

Suckermouth Minnow can be cared for in a similar manner that you'd care for most other Cyprinids.

#8 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:36 AM

If you want to come down to Virginia, we have Torrent suckers in the uplands. Relatively small sucker maxing out at about 7 inches or so, and a relatively attractive fish at that. I've kept a few and haven't had too much problem keeping them fed.

#9 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

If you want to come down to Virginia, we have Torrent suckers in the uplands. Relatively small sucker maxing out at about 7 inches or so, and a relatively attractive fish at that. I've kept a few and haven't had too much problem keeping them fed.

I really like how that Torrent Sucker looks. I really would like a couple of those. Problem for me is time. I see none of the vendors sells those.

#10 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:45 PM

What's the rush? Dave is right, creek chubsuckers are abundant, attractive, and hardy.

#11 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

They do get fairly large though, don't they? I seem to remember some one posting a photo here of a chubsucker in the 18" range.

#12 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

I've never seen one much over 12" TL in the wild. I think the western claviformis and lake chubsuckers get a bit bigger, to roughly 16". All of them stay substantially smaller in aquaria without apparent ill effects; I kept a couple for several years and they maxed out at about 6". In my experience they also acclimate much better to captivity than Thoburnia.

But hey, it's just a suggestion.

Roanoke hogsuckers might be another option that's not too far of a drive away, but I've never had good luck with Hypentelium in aquaria...

#13 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

Would it help to extend the suckers lifespan/health/well-being/etc. if the tank had actual substrate from a stream/creek that they actually live in?

I plan to have a planted tank. The substrate is going to be 2 inches of creekbed/riverbed substrate with a 1 inch layer of gravel.

Would the suckers find food in the substrate perhaps?

#14 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

Would it help to extend the suckers lifespan/health/well-being/etc. if the tank had actual substrate from a stream/creek that they actually live in?

I plan to have a planted tank. The substrate is going to be 2 inches of creekbed/riverbed substrate with a 1 inch layer of gravel.

Would the suckers find food in the substrate perhaps?

Yes, actual substrate will help tremendously. It will not only harbor beneficial bacteria and biofilms but it will also keep food trapped for benthic feeders which is paramount for suckers to grow. Our fellow forum member Todd (farmertodd) has a very nice PDF which explains his methods and madness. ;) He states the primary reason he can keep and actually grow suckers is because of the deep "live" substrate.

A really deep substrate (3-4") is a great way to keep your fauna and more particularly your flora happy for a long time. A 4-inch substrate will allow plants to grow and use nutrients for much longer than a 1 to 2-inch substrate and keep from inserting "plugs" of new substrate or redoing the substrate all together. Sorry for the derail on plants, I know that you asked about suckers and my answer to that is yes, yes, yes!

Good luck,
Blake

#15 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

Yes, actual substrate will help tremendously. It will not only harbor beneficial bacteria and biofilms but it will also keep food trapped for benthic feeders which is paramount for suckers to grow. Our fellow forum member Todd (farmertodd) has a very nice PDF which explains his methods and madness. ;) He states the primary reason he can keep and actually grow suckers is because of the deep "live" substrate.

A really deep substrate (3-4") is a great way to keep your fauna and more particularly your flora happy for a long time. A 4-inch substrate will allow plants to grow and use nutrients for much longer than a 1 to 2-inch substrate and keep from inserting "plugs" of new substrate or redoing the substrate all together. Sorry for the derail on plants, I know that you asked about suckers and my answer to that is yes, yes, yes!

Good luck,
Blake

I stumbled on farmertodds page once and can not find it again. Have a link. Thanks for the info on the plants as well. Most of my current research has shifted to the plants actually. While researching substrate I had the epiphany on the suckers.

#16 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

Todd's Webpage

Blake

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users