Care tips on Red Shiners and Red bellied daces?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_blaze88_*

Guest_blaze88_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:24 PM

If anybody as any information about them that is little known but useful please PM me or post it here.

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:19 PM

In the wild I find SRBD in slow moving clear water often vegetated. I do the same for them on the home aquaria.
SRBD will eat anything you offer but I think it's a good idea to give them spirulina flake food or equivalent. I also offer frozen foods to them.

Red shiners I find in rocky medium sized rivers. Usually with shallow riffle and pool situation. They'll take any food you offer as well including very small pellets. red shiners can be touchy to temperature change so if introducing them to water with a higher temperature please do so carefully.

Both fish are quite hardy in the home aquaria and don't require any special treatment other than vegetable matter for the SRBD.

#3 Guest_blaze88_*

Guest_blaze88_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

I love aquarium plants, but I just can't seem to keep them alive in my 80 with a hungry koi and goldfishes.

I have some fakes and four and 1/2 hides. (I have one hide that can be counted as two.) Would that be an ok enviorment. I have a hang side filter and it keeps the water airated and moving. I also have a bubbler. Would this be an ok enviorment?

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

I love aquarium plants, but I just can't seem to keep them alive in my 80 with a hungry koi and goldfishes.

I have some fakes and four and 1/2 hides. (I have one hide that can be counted as two.) Would that be an ok enviorment. I have a hang side filter and it keeps the water airated and moving. I also have a bubbler. Would this be an ok enviorment?

Do you plan on putting Red belly dace or red shiner in with the rats ?
If so... thats not really a very good mix and it's not suggested. Those are much too boisterous of fish to keep with the dace and shiner.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

What's a "hide"?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users