my 75 gal is going into action!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:07 PM

I have had this 75 gal for a while now and I am going to build a stand where my 40 gal goes under it.

my question pertains to bio-load

I want to put a warmouth and a bullhead in the 75 gal, tank dims are 18 x 48 cant remember the hight right now but i think 22"

the tank will be non planted (i will float some duck weed, and other stuff on the top, but this will be lower light tank)

I will use a eheim 2028 canister for filtration
i will do 1/3 water change per week

with in 3 years the warmouth and bullhead (probably a snail) will be 9-11" and i do not want to be in a situation where i have to do 50% water changes every other day to keep my nitrates lower than 20%

I am assuming that a warmouth would have the same bioload as a oscar, but i am unsure about a bullhead

what do you think

#2 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:07 PM

I already gave you some feedback on MFK...

Chad

#3 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:04 PM

I have a rock bass, warmouth and flat bullhead in a 75 gallon.

They're in great shape

#4 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

When you say lower light tank do you mean the bottom one which will be the forty gallon? Because if you are putting just those three fish in the 75, I would call that undershooting its capacity by far. As far as having those three fish in a forty which is what I have, I have had an Oscar, Warmouth, and young Green sunfish in it and maintaince was practicaly nill to none. I would not worry about 50% water changes with just three fish even in the forty. The messy fish will be the cat, but I still believe a 25% water change every two weeks would be way more than sastisfactory. By the way the warmouth is an awesome fish. The one I had, had red lining to the outer parts of his fins. Under a log I have he would be totaly black with gold to blue flecks, then when he came out and "blushed" you saw the brown and black mottled or chain like patern. Very nice fish to keep. I was forced to give him up because I just got back with some bantams and wanted to dedicate my forty to them and some madtoms. I saw a 75 "long I think" at my local pet store and it was awesome looking. You are in for some nice fun. I have some baby warmouths (two) in with my bantams. I am going to let them grow together. I do not know if it will work or not because the bantams will not be much more than three inches when fully grown but I will watch them. I love warmouths. And despite the name they are actually a fairly sedate and calm fish in my experience with them. I caught a warmouth in Louisiana just a few days ago that had these red spots on him and really nice red finnage and an overall "red'er" sheen to his sides. I think he must have hybridized with a red spotted or something. The first and only time I have seen one like that. Since I was with dredcon when I caught it, I let him have it to show his students.

#5 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

the lower tank (the 40 gal) is high light heavily planted here is a pict of what it will look like

Posted Image

side view

Posted Image

if i add another fish to the mix it will probably be a shadow bass (if i can get one) the trick is to get all three approximately the same size (so someone does not become lunch).

I have in the past gotten fish and put them in a "grow out" tank and told myself " ill get a 100 gal in 2 years and move them out" and it never happened. I wana plan for the long haul. I would hate to be in a situation where i have to do multiple water changes a week to get my nitrates lower than 20% or so. Log on to
http://i27.photobuck...newtankfin2.jpg that forum is full of stories about maxed out bio-loads.

I was on the cusp of adding the shadow bass to the mix and i think i will do it.

thanks for the input

#6 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:09 AM

the lower tank (the 40 gal) is high light heavily planted here is a pict of what it will look like
Posted Image

side view
Posted Image

if i add another fish to the mix it will probably be a shadow bass (if i can get one) the trick is to get all three approximately the same size (so someone does not become lunch).

I have in the past gotten fish and put them in a "grow out" tank and told myself " ill get a 100 gal in 2 years and move them out" and it never happened. I wana plan for the long haul. I would hate to be in a situation where i have to do multiple water changes a week to get my nitrates lower than 20% or so. Log on to
http://i27.photobuck...newtankfin2.jpg that forum is full of stories about maxed out bio-loads.

I was on the cusp of adding the shadow bass to the mix and i think i will do it.
thanks for the input

OK MHO about maxed out bio loads. The general writing/articles/books in my opinion are a little on the conservative side. I have been keeping fish for well lets say a long time. I am about to hit the half decade point in life and have been keeping fish since I was in the single digits of my age. Like I said I think you will have no problem with more than three fish in a forty or better yet your seventy. And with a 25% water change every two weeks or even at every month I think is over kill on the amount of fish you will have in there. Then again I am not a plant keeper so if the nitrates are a problem for the plants I have no knowledge in that area. But my gut instinct on over forty years of keeping fish I think the guied lines set out in books are way on the conservative side to almost being silly. Again that is my opinion.

And by the way do you have a patent on this stand Idea of yours. I am a X carpenter/trim carpenter and a woodworker among the many other hobbies I enjoy. I am currently a Liscensed Electrical Contractor here in the Chattanooga area. I really like the idea you have there. My daughter has mentioned to me that I should make a stand that holds two aquariums in the past and like I said I really like your plan there. So do you mind if I borrow it for lets say ten to thirty years or so.

#7 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:47 AM

knock yourself out

i have a framing plan if you are interested

#8 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

knock yourself out

i have a framing plan if you are interested

No problem. Never did like plans. I look at things then I decide how I like to build them. I am a ultra perfectionest sometimes to my detriment. So I appreciate the offer but I just coppied and pasted your post on the plan and that is all I need. Besides my tanks will more than likely be different dimensions. AGAIN THANKS I APPRECIATE THE OFFER VERY MUCH.

#9 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:54 AM

I really appreciate the offer on the plans but my tanks will more than likely be different dimensions. Besides I am a perfectionest to the point of banging my head against the wall. Nothing against your plans, by the illustration here it is evident that you are very proffesional at what you do. But I just coppied and pasted you illustraion here and that is all I will need.

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:03 PM

one slight sugestion on your plan... You may want the bottom tank off the floor a little more cleaning tanks can be difficult if they are close to the ground because the siphoning of gravel doesn't work too well. I have run into this problem myself with stands i have built so just passing on my experience.

#11 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:09 PM

DOES ANYBODY ELSE HATE THIS SOFTWARE??? I add a reply then I decide I want to edit it and it does not show up. Or does not show the parts I add/take off but when I log in again it does. And WTH is guided mode, full edit, quick edit. Is'nt an edit an edit come on. I mean how complicated do they have to make this thing. Or maybe its me. I mean I did grow up with slide rule and no airconditioning In southern Louisiana. LOL Sometimes I add a reply or quote and it does not show up. Am I on too many drugs or is this software crazy. And don't be to honest with me about the drug part LOL. And what is the difference between quote and reply on the bottom of this box. I mean do they not do the same thing.

I really appreciate the offer on the plan, and by the look of your computer generated illustration it is evident you are very proffesional at what you do. But I am a little old school so I just look at something and decide how "I want to build it". You know like when an old codger is set in his ways and wants to do things his way. :D/ [u]

#12 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:51 PM

one slight sugestion on your plan... You may want the bottom tank off the floor a little more cleaning tanks can be difficult if they are close to the ground because the siphoning of gravel doesn't work too well. I have run into this problem myself with stands i have built so just passing on my experience.

are you using a python? I will have 2 test it

DOES ANYBODY ELSE HATE THIS SOFTWARE??? I add a reply then I decide I want to edit it and it does not show up. Or does not show the parts I add/take off but when I log in again it does. And WTH is guided mode, full edit, quick edit. Is'nt an edit an edit come on. I mean how complicated do they have to make this thing. Or maybe its me. I mean I did grow up with slide rule and no airconditioning In southern Louisiana. LOL Sometimes I add a reply or quote and it does not show up. Am I on too many drugs or is this software crazy. And don't be to honest with me about the drug part LOL. And what is the difference between quote and reply on the bottom of this box. I mean do they not do the same thing.

I really appreciate the offer on the plan, and by the look of your computer generated illustration it is evident you are very proffesional at what you do. But I am a little old school so I just look at something and decide how "I want to build it". You know like when an old codger is set in his ways and wants to do things his way. :D/ [u]

pull the choke out on your computer a just a little, that should fix the software

lol, i know what you mean.

I basicly use the computer to get framing lengths and such down, i always end up revising my stands on the spot.

#13 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:16 PM

Can't find the choke can you tell me where it is. No I am not blonde, and that is a joke. But my frustration with this software is evident with replies up there that seem to be repeated over and over. So choose the one that sounds the best and go with that one OK.

#14 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:29 AM

Man I am still envious of your seventy five gallon tank. I saw on at my LFS and it looked cool. It looked like my forty breeder only scaled up a bit. Great tank. So it is not far from Christmas guys and if you need my address I will gladly send it to you.

Daniel

#15 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:17 AM

I have had this 75 gal for a while now and I am going to build a stand where my 40 gal goes under it.

my question pertains to bio-load

I want to put a warmouth and a bullhead in the 75 gal, tank dims are 18 x 48 cant remember the hight right now but i think 22"

the tank will be non planted (i will float some duck weed, and other stuff on the top, but this will be lower light tank)

I will use a eheim 2028 canister for filtration
i will do 1/3 water change per week

with in 3 years the warmouth and bullhead (probably a snail) will be 9-11" and i do not want to be in a situation where i have to do 50% water changes every other day to keep my nitrates lower than 20%

I am assuming that a warmouth would have the same bioload as a oscar, but i am unsure about a bullhead

what do you think

I have kept both warmouth and Oscar. An Oscar is extreemly messy eater/pooper while the warmouth is not. I would think the bioload for the warmouth would be lower. Also the Oscar is going to be digging/fanning the gravel all the time so he will be stirring up trouble so to speak. Yes an Oscar is definatly messier than a warmouth. And to choose a warmouth over an oscar for me would be hard. They are both so awesome. But if you want a true native that is totally awesome choose the warmouth. Words cannot explain how much I like warmouths. Beautiful wattery camelions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users