More Ultralite fishing

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

Well I decided to hit a spot for pumpkinseed, ended up getting more than that, got some perch, a couple small rock bass, a couple largemouth (biggest was 10", smallest were like 2" lol), and a couple 1sts for this spot, caught some common and golden (my 1st) shiners :cool2: Man ice fishing jigs and Gulp Waxies catch a ton of stuff :mrgreen:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
probly the prettiest p-seed Ive ever caught, it's sides had a bit more orange to it around the gills than what the photos show
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

Wow, you had luck with Gulp?

I never tried the gulp lures, but I tried the "powerbait" like gulp (crawlers, grubs, waxies, etc.) a few times assuming I'd have luck with it for panfish like I had using powerbait for trout. I never caught anything. I even tried saltwater gulp strips on a deep sea fishing trip on a double hook rig with clams on one hook and clams and gulp strips on the other. Fish avoided the hook with gulp on it until after i removed the gulp. I had a friend who tried fishing gulp for a month unil he got something, finally a few weeks of luckless fishing later he got a big sunfish.

I have no clue how berkley can claim it outpreforms live bait. I am amazed it is working for you.

#3 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

It works well for shiners, as well as sunfish/perch/bass (at least any smaller ones, i didnt see any bigger p-seeds to test how well it works). I think it worked simply because with the jig it's total length was around .75", and it smells.

#4 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

Well I decided to hit a spot for pumpkinseed, ended up getting more than that, got some perch, a couple small rock bass, a couple largemouth (biggest was 10", smallest were like 2" lol), and a couple 1sts for this spot, caught some common and golden (my 1st) shiners :cool2: Man ice fishing jigs and Gulp Waxies catch a ton of stuff :mrgreen:

Nice fish. I use gulp waxies too. Work almost as well as live bait. Where is it that you were fishing?

Edited by donkeyman876, 01 September 2009 - 03:22 PM.

#5 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

Victoria Harbour (Albert Street Boat Launch and pier), caught that guy at the boat launch, most of the guys were caught off the pier (its a huge weedflat that slowly drops, the odd time theres a big pike around)

Edited by panfisherteen, 01 September 2009 - 04:03 PM.

#6 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

I tried the Gulp nightcrawlers with virtually no success. Maybe I'll try the waxworms before I completely write them off. Nice fish you got there, those pumpkinseeds are beautiful and those common shiners are impressive.

#7 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

pair em up with a small ice fishing jig, has a lot of weight for a small size :cool2: Yea I tried the Gulp Maggots before and wasnt impressed at all, then I seen the waxies and i thought "These should work" and sure enough they do.

#8 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

My fishin buddy swears by the ice jigs and Gulp grubs for panners. You can see his ice fishing jig in this pic.
Posted Image

I generally outfish him 3 to 1 when I use the flyrod though. :tongue:
Posted Image
Bare in mind, I have huge hands and that is a saltwater fly.
Can't help lovin those exotic introduction freaks.

Edited by mikez, 02 September 2009 - 03:36 PM.

#9 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

man thats a hawg of a bluegill, well done (i use flies all the time on my UL :rolleyes: )

#10 Guest_Marshall_*

Guest_Marshall_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

Oh my god....

Mike, where did you find those fish!??! I've never seen sunfish THAT big....

Also, those don't look like our typical New England bluegills, are they redbreast sunfish? If so, how did end up in MA? (I'm assuming that's where you caught them based on your profile)

#11 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:21 PM

those are bluegill, dont worry lol

#12 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

I have never caught a bluegill that looks like your fish Mike but admittedly, I've only seen giant Bluegill caught in the fall.
Your first fish is very attractive.

#13 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

Central Ma location,yes they are bluegill. The humped back shape is a sign of long life and the bright colors are from pulling the bulls right off the beds.
Atypical habitat, deep clear kettle pond very little weeds. At a glance it looks barren but actually contains high numbers of copepods. At times these big daphnia fill the water column like a dark cloud.
Posted Image
Smaller daphnia and cyclops also get like that in winter.Trout that I have cleaned from the lake have deep bodies, dark pink flesh and usually a belly packed with 'pods.

Only banded killifish and yellow perch are actually native to the pond. The rich feed grows some killer perch as well, but very few in numbers.
http://www.newenglan...-1234146261.jpg

#14 Guest_Marshall_*

Guest_Marshall_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:40 AM

Central Ma location,yes they are bluegill. The humped back shape is a sign of long life and the bright colors are from pulling the bulls right off the beds.
Atypical habitat, deep clear kettle pond very little weeds. At a glance it looks barren but actually contains high numbers of copepods. At times these big daphnia fill the water column like a dark cloud.

Smaller daphnia and cyclops also get like that in winter.Trout that I have cleaned from the lake have deep bodies, dark pink flesh and usually a belly packed with 'pods.

Only banded killifish and yellow perch are actually native to the pond. The rich feed grows some killer perch as well, but very few in numbers.
http://www.newenglan...-1234146261.jpg

Wow, sounds like a pretty neat place. Looks like its a little out of the way too, don't see any lake houses in that pic. Oligotrophic lakes and ponds are neat environments. I can understand why you don't want to name this location!

To get back on topic... Panfisherteen, nice fish! but you need to get yourself a fly rod. Doesn't need to be expensive.

Edited by Marshall, 06 September 2009 - 10:40 AM.

#15 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

Nice pics!
That is a slob of a bluegill. We get some good size b.gills here on LI also.
Anyway, here's a 32" bluefish I caught today on a plug. This bad boy almost spooled me.
-JanAttached File  100_0564.JPG   1.06MB   0 downloads

#16 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

nice fish 8-)

#17 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

Down here the average bluegill is about the size of those. My biggest was almost exactly a pound. In some places we used to go to we could catch seventy of em in just one day on live crickets. i guess the warm swampy environment allows the fish to get bigger over here.

Edited by Amazon, 13 September 2009 - 11:42 AM.

#18 Guest_TheCoggster_*

Guest_TheCoggster_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

My biggest redear was 11 inches and a little of a pound, It was a monster for northern Indiana

#19 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

New PB Pumpkinseed :D/ Caught it in a small lake near me, using the ice fishing jig with a Gulp Waxie, only with a small float above it since theres a bunch of lily pads. 4lb Trilene XL is surprisingly strong and abrasive resistant, I had my jig get tangled up in the lily pads a lot and never had a break off. Anyways, I found a new patch of lily pads I can wade to, and I had missed a fish in there on the previous cast, so I cast back and watched. I missed the float going under water because it was evening and the float is real small. I reeled in and I felt weight and set the hook, and was able to muscle it out, its between 8 1/4" and 8 1/2" long, very nice fish.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Guest_TheCoggster_*

Guest_TheCoggster_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Nice P-seed although I've got you beat :tongue: I caught a solid 9 1/2 incher in Michigans UP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users