Minnow Traps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GreenLakeYak_*

Guest_GreenLakeYak_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:00 PM

I've been searching a bit on the DNR page and it appears they are legal, if you have a bait dealers permit and it does not exceed a size limit. If it exceeds the size limit then you must have a bait dealers permit AND a permit for "non-standard gear".

Source: Page 30 from http://www.dnr.state.../PDFs/ch_30.pdf

Is the "bait dealers" permit the same as the "minnow harvest" permit from Ted Treska at the dnr?

There is some more information on that PDF about traps as well, if placed in a flowage or non-natural body of water permission must be gotten from the owner of the land on which the flowage sits.

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:06 AM

GreenLakeYak,

In reference to another post I made on another part of the forum, I was not saying that minnow traps are illegal. I was saying that the taking of game fish in minnow traps is illegal. Page 7 of the state fishing regulations (http://dnr.wi.gov/fi.../fhregs0910.pdf)says that it is illegal "to take fish by any means other than hook and line unless otherwise allowed". This allowance being for minnows and rough fish. See the fishing regs for definitions of minnows and rough fish.

To answer your other question, a bait dealer's permit is not the same as a minnow harvest permit. If you want to keep minnows in your aquarium that you have collected, you want to get the "minnow harvest" permit. Ted Treska's number for that is (608) 267-7659. Hope this helps!

Brian

#3 Guest_GreenLakeYak_*

Guest_GreenLakeYak_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for the information, I wanted to be sure about using traps before putting some out again.

I'll have to come back to waters with game fish with a net or some ultra-light fishing gear next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users