Central Tennessee over Labor Day Weekend

54 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

Howdy folks,

I've just recovered from a long week in Central Tennessee for the AFS Convention and a little after convention snorkelage. Our camp was headed by El Snorkelmeister, Casper Cox, along with other frequent Forum posters Lance Merry, Dave Neely and Scott Schlueter, and rounded off by the ever entertaining Ed Scott, along with two faces new to me, Bryce Gibson and Jeremy Monroe (whom I hope to entice both to start participating here). It was a whole lot of neoprene and underwater electronic gear, and man, did we have a blast.

There will be many photographs and stories to tell along this thread as we get ourselves back together... I'll leave that for now. I wanted to get it started, however, with three from the bottom of the pile (so as to make everything from here an ascent).

This was a "Why!? Why, dear God, WHY couldn't this have been in better focus?!" thing when I reviewed it on my computer. It was a situation deserving Charlton Heston or William Shatner reenactment. See if you agree:

blotchside_sm.jpg
Blotchside logperch, Percina burtoni

I always forget to take people pictures... Can you imagine being a fish and seeing these "blue herons" with their eyes on you? I'd move to the other side of the pool too.

casperdave.jpg
Casper Cox and Dave Neely

And finally... Lance Merry and I redefined the word "frontier" on the way home along I-65.

fontier.jpg

There's the punchline, here's the setup... Lance made a quick stop on the Green River on the way home. To get out of the river, we walked down the stream to get out because the bank is so bad. There's all these kids splashing in the water playing at the boat ramp and they one by one stop splashing and start to stare at us (like space invader movie style). Upon closer inspection, we realize they're Amish. By the time we got there, every one of them is just standing there, mouth agape, trying to figure out what the heck we were in our neoprene and weird machines we were carrying.

After passing them and saying hi to the stupified children, I looked at Lance and said "It must be something to even get stared at by Amish people." I know I'm doing something right!

Anyway, it was a nice finishing touch after having hung out around the Buffalo River and Buffalo darter, Etheostoma bison, for a couple days. Maybe we should get on to that portion of this thread's entertainment? That's the bottom of the pile, jump on in guys!

Todd

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

It's about time! I've got some pictures from my Monday jaunt down to the Duck I can post as well when I'm back in the office.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

I look forward to seeing more shots from this adventure. I'm sorry I had to back out.

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

How's the art show go Newt? Wish you coulda been there too!

For a full gallery, hop on over here:

http://www.farmertod...nanfa/tnsept09/

As a NANFA bonus (maybe not after you download them :) ), here's my favorites of the favorites in a little higher res and file size.

Banded_Sculpin_04.jpg
Banded Sculpin, Cottus carolinae

Blenny_02.jpg
Blenny Darter, Etheostoma blennius

Bloodfin_11.jpg
Bloodfin Darter, Etheostoma sangifluum

Spotted_Darter_05.jpg
Spotted Darter, Etheostoma maculatum

Blotchside_01.jpg
Blotchside Logperch Darter, Percina burtoni

Coppercheek_07.jpg
Coppercheek Darter, Etheostoma aquali

Duck_Darter_01.jpg
Duck Darter, Etheostoma planasaxatile

Monkeyface_01.jpg
Monkeyface, Quadrula metanevra

Mountain_Madtom_01.jpg
Mountain Madtom, Noturus eleutherus

Redline_04.jpg
Redline Darter, Etheostoma rufilineatum

Now to start working on all the film. Ugh.

Todd

#5 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:42 PM

Where to begin is the biggest question, each day could yield a written novel: Dave getting firewood? The journey for Casper Clear? Nearly leaving Scott on the side of the road? Stans? The wonderful campground? The Amish?

Day 1: The Spread.

Here’s the NANFA homeless camp we occupied. Casper found us a wonderful campground with a stunning secluded rear site he rented for the weekend.
Posted Image

Dave getting firewood…
Posted Image

Day 2:

After obtaining Casper Clear water, the professionals, Jeremy Monroe, Todd, and Bryce Gibson pregamed the upcoming snorkel event.
Posted Image

And the fun began…Scott Schlueter and El Snorkelmeister, Casper Cox on looking numerous snubnoses and rainbow darters at their fingertips.
Posted Image

Day 3:

Rolled out of the tent, ate breakfast, and crawled into our campside stream…what a place.
Posted Image

Jeremy
Posted Image

I stayed in this washout for the duration of the morning. When I got tired of darters, I looked at shiners, when I got tired of shiners I looked at sculpins, and so on…they were all right there.

Washout Video

This one’s for Ed – GDS
Posted Image

Scott, Todd, and I broke from the crew after lunch to view several other species – and it rained, and rained. We had just enough light to do our thing once it broke before dark.

Coppercheek Darter (Etheostoma aquali)
Posted Image

Redline Darter (Etheostoma rufilineatum)
Posted Image

Redline Video

Saddled Crawfish of some sort.
Posted Image

They look slightly cuter under water.
http://gallery.nanfa.../helgramite.jpg

Blotched Chub (Erimystax insignis)
http://gallery.nanfa...icture 3064.jpg

Scott and Todd admiring a Passion Flower.
http://gallery.nanfa...icture 3005.jpg

Passion Flower
http://farm3.static...._ece5a0e6f8.jpg

Catfish dinner that night at the campground diner was amazing. Did we have an official hushpuppy count?

Day 4:
Blotchside Logperch, Stans, Cracklins, Scott on the side of the road, Bloodfin Darters…what a day.

Bloodfin Darter (Etheostoma sanguifluum)
http://gallery.nanfa...8370-3/P196.jpg
http://gallery.nanfa...8374-3/P200.jpg

Day 5:
And the infamous Green River day – Amish and buffalos included.

Spotted Darter (Etheostoma maculatum)
http://gallery.nanfa...icture 3036.jpg
http://gallery.nanfa...icture 3194.jpg

Tippecanoe Darter (Etheostoma tippecanoe)
http://gallery.nanfa...icture 3155.jpg

Mountain Madtom (Noturus eleutherus )
http://gallery.nanfa...8381-3/P229.jpg

I porpoised to consult the mussel master Todd to this view, the question could wait…...can’t imagine what the canoers thought.
http://gallery.nanfa...8551-5/P234.jpg

http://gallery.nanfa...icture 2989.jpg

Edited by natureman187, 14 September 2009 - 11:05 PM.

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

Those are some beautiful shots, fellas, and some fish I've never even seen, despite living a paltry hour's drive away. The E. maculatum are particularly stunning. My underwater camera fund is increasing at a painfully slow rate, but some time next year I'll be in the drink and taking shots that can hopefully hold their own with these.

My show went splendidly, Todd, thanks for asking!

#7 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

Did you get a Tippecanoe to actually cooperate!?! That is some awesome work there, my friend! And that spotted darter is unbelievable. I wish we'd had better light on the Barren Fork for those bloofins, but in any case, that maculatum is gonna be a tough one to beat! Wow!

Great write up. Coulda done without my big butt tho... now I'm going to be all self-conscious when I'm trying to get a shot! ;)

I can't wait to see what Snorkelmeister writes up here.

Off to sleep with spotted darter dreams now...

Todd

#8 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:03 AM

You sure that is an Fusconaia ebena? Pretty sure they are not found in Green, especially above the lock and dams of the lower Green. Can't get the best angle to see the umbo, but Pleurobema cordatum or F. subrotunda perhaps, or one of the many odd variations of P. sintoxia?

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

Nope, not sure Matt. I was going to ask on Unio. As I looked at the picture with the books, I started thinking more cordatum or subrotunda, as you note. That's the trouble with not being able to take things home, esp with pigtoes.

Hey, do you know which saddled crayfish is in the Buffalo and southern Highland Rim (the one pictured)?

Todd

Edited by farmertodd, 15 September 2009 - 08:24 AM.

#10 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

Wow!
Thanks guys!
Amazing how much that first sculpin looks like a grubby to me [small saltwater local]. You coulda fooled me if you told me is was from the salt.
I've never even heard of a couple of the darters.
I really like the redline darter.
Next year's road trip is growing in my mind....

#11 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

Nice pictures and report guys! Being a poor college student I could not justify the spending for this years trip, but hopefully I will be down there playing during spring break and the summer (too far away!). Seems the Nothonotus were the central theme for exploration, nothing wrong with that! Man, that passion flower is amazing.

Blake

#12 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:19 PM

Excellent! Great photos by everyone and good write-up. Sounds like a great trip. Sadly, in 5 years of living in TN, I never made it any farther west than Cookville. Looks like a great area to go 'fishing'. Awesome, guys!

#13 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

I look forward to seeing more shots from this adventure. I'm sorry I had to back out.

Nathan, it was a bummer you couldn't make it. Next time I will be expecting another familiar face :cool:

Did you get a Tippecanoe to actually cooperate!?! That is some awesome work there, my friend! And that spotted darter is unbelievable. I wish we'd had better light on the Barren Fork for those bloofins, but in any case, that maculatum is gonna be a tough one to beat! Wow!

Great write up. Coulda done without my big butt tho... now I'm going to be all self-conscious when I'm trying to get a shot! ;)

Yes sir, posed long enough for one shot. That's all I got.
Sorry about the butt, had to, got me laughing about equivalent to that buffalo.
Awesome pictures Todd. I love how crisp they turned out even with the clouds and rain. That bloodfins a monster!

#14 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

Todd,

Jim sent me an email tonight and said he tends to agree with Ron (Ciccerello). Given they've probably got 30+ years combined on the river I feel lucky that I was even thinking along the same lines.

No clue about the crayfish...Orconectes something...don't know my groupings too well for SE species. We found a monster on the Duck at Lillards, that looks somewhat similar, but the gonopod shot turned out really bad.

#15 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

Man, that passion flower is amazing.

Such an awesome flower!

Posted Image

#16 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

That's a good picture of a common local plant, Passiflora incarnata. Sometimes people think it's a weed, which is truly a failure to understand. There's another native passionflower that has small light green flowers, that's luckily growing all around our back yard (I forget the binomial...).

#17 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, P. incarnata and lutea are the common ones in the SE. I will have to keep my eyes peeled on the banks next time I'm down that way.

Blake

#18 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:43 PM

Thanks so much for your compliments guys. I'm glad people are enjoying the pics.

Matt, thanks for asking Jim. Those are so tough. Sorry for giving the wrong name lol. I'll clear that up on the list tomorrow :)

Blake, I think it's Notho heavy because they're so danged easy to photograph. If I spent half the time I spent trying to photograph those damned logperch on redlines instead, I would probably have come up with some pretty amazing stuff :)

Seriously folks, if you've never put your head under the water, those big gaudy Nothonotus are reason enough! You can poke 'em in their head, they'll just rush you, if they don't want to leave. I'll have to rip some of the footage of that chocolate black "angry man" sanguifluum so people can see how "tame" these fish are when you're in their house.

Man I forgot about the stills on the Nikon. Nothing you haven't already shown everyone else. I wish I would have made more time for plants, but if we had good light, I was in the water. Dang this summer's weather, I'll tell ya.

Todd

#19 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:17 PM

I think they enjoyed our company ;)

I could scoot them around, make them new homes, pick them up, pet them, whisper in their ear...

Posted Image

#20 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

Thanks Lance, I just woke Erika up laughing! :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users