Hagfish-Lamprey-Jawed Vertebrate Mystery

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

Here is an essay recently published in Nature that profiles what is perhaps the most vexing problem in vertebrate phylogeny, the evolutionary relationships of hagfish, lamprey, and gnathostomes. I entered into the debate because students in my ichthyology class were not satisfied with the conflicting conclusions of the morphological and molecular studies, and I think were not impressed that I had no opinion to share as to which analysis may have greater weight. Anyway, I found this a well-written piece and will use it in my future teaching.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

Wow, a Janvier pop-up quote right at the beginning of the article! I'll have to re-read it more closely. The question is certainly one of the Big Mysteries.

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

interesting paper... I have not seen this one yet. Thanks Tom for sharing it.

#4 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

Neat! I'm anxious to see what exactly has been found. Guess I'll have to wait.

Here's a semi-distantly related article I dug up just yesterday for those interested.

Attached Files

Edited by AndrewAcropora, 17 September 2009 - 08:51 PM.

#5 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:14 AM

Neat! I'm anxious to see what exactly has been found. Guess I'll have to wait.

Here's a semi-distantly related article I dug up just yesterday for those interested.

Andrew-This is a great paper. The importance of this paper for fish heads is that Andreolepis is again hypothesized as a stem osteichthian, and not a stem actinopterygian. Also, the phylogeny and the stratigraphy of the rocks bearing the fossils pushes the minimal age for the split between actinopterygians and sarcopterygians back to 419 Ma.

#6 Guest_kalawatseti_*

Guest_kalawatseti_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

This paper -- a description of the fossil Guiyu oneiros-- reminds me of something. The Catalog of Fishes database is a wonderful resource for the names of all Recent fishes. Is there an analogous site or resource for fossil fish taxa?

Thanks,
Chris

#7 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

It's not as nicely compiled or as comprehensive as the Catalog, but the BFV is pretty useful.

http://www.vertpaleo...ibliography.cfm

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users