23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TonsOfFun5_*

Guest_TonsOfFun5_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

Full View Of Tank
Attached File  Full View.jpg   30.19KB   15 downloads
Side Views
Attached File  Left Side.jpg   34.34KB   1 downloads, Attached File  Right Side.jpg   36.75KB   0 downloads
Yellow Perch
Attached File  Yellow Perch.jpg   28.56KB   0 downloads
Rock Bass
Attached File  Rock Bass.jpg   26.12KB   0 downloads, Attached File  Bluegill Rock Bass.jpg   22.92KB   0 downloads
Bluegill
Attached File  Bluegill.jpg   35.44KB   0 downloads, Attached File  Bluegill Yellow Perch.jpg   31.95KB   0 downloads
Pumpkinseed
Attached File  Pumpkinseed 2.jpg   24.12KB   0 downloads, Attached File  Pumpkinseed.jpg   30KB   0 downloads
Largemouth Bass
Attached File  Largemouth Bass.jpg   25.7KB   0 downloads
Turtles
Attached File  Turtles.jpg   25.99KB   0 downloads, Attached File  Turtles 2.jpg   27.23KB   0 downloads
Crayfish
Attached File  Crayfish.jpg   30.33KB   0 downloads, Attached File  Couple Crayfish.jpg   27.61KB   0 downloads
Silly Crayfish
Attached File  Climbing Crayfish.jpg   36.27KB   0 downloads, Attached File  Climbing Crayfish Closeup.jpg   36.77KB   0 downloads
Clam
Attached File  Clam.jpg   26.25KB   0 downloads
Brown Bullhead
Attached File  Brown Bullhead.jpg   24.88KB   0 downloads

#2 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:12 PM

wow very nice aquarium :cool2: I assume you have accomodations for the largemouth when he outgrows the 125 (which should be a year-year and a half i think)

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

Looks great! Very nice use of plants.

#4 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

Very nice, like the driftwood especially and the plants :)

#5 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

Nice tank! Who is the top sunfish in there?

#6 Guest_TonsOfFun5_*

Guest_TonsOfFun5_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:21 PM

Thanks everyone! I thought I did a pretty good job with the plants too. Posted Image They are all plastic as im sure you could tell but with enough of them they do look pretty good. Im not sure there is a particular top sunfish in the group, but it does seem a couple bluegill and the largemouth try to claim the spot above the wood as their own. The perch are almost always on the left side of the tank in the tall plants. The rockbass and pumpkinseeds like to congregate under the turtle docks. I wsh the pictures came out better but I was just using a regular digital camera without the flash. Here are a couple with the flash.
Bluegill
Attached File  Bluegill.jpg   23.9KB   0 downloads
Brown Bullhead and Turtle
Attached File  Brown Bullhead Turtle.jpg   28.86KB   0 downloads
Crayfish under rock
Attached File  Crayfish Under Rock.jpg   32.39KB   0 downloads
Pumpkinseed
Attached File  Pumpkinseed.jpg   20.99KB   0 downloads
Rockbass and Silly Climbing Crayfish again
Attached File  Rockbass Crayfish.jpg   27.77KB   0 downloads
Yellow Perch
Attached File  Yellow Perch.jpg   27.37KB   0 downloads

#7 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

Awesome tank. The turtles will need a new home eventually. The also have a high bio-load. What is your filtration set up?

#8 Guest_TonsOfFun5_*

Guest_TonsOfFun5_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

Well actually I havent been running any filtration. Ive had the tank up for about 4 months. I have what I think is a whisper filter running to keep the water moving a little, but there isnt any filter cartridges in it. Ive only done one 30% water change, which was about a week ago. I was going to start doing a weekly 30% water change from now on. I really dont know much about filtration. I was thinking maybe the bullheads, crayfish, and clams keep things on the bottom clean enough.

#9 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

Well actually I havent been running any filtration. Ive had the tank up for about 4 months. I have what I think is a whisper filter running to keep the water moving a little, but there isnt any filter cartridges in it. Ive only done one 30% water change, which was about a week ago. I was going to start doing a weekly 30% water change from now on. I really dont know much about filtration. I was thinking maybe the bullheads, crayfish, and clams keep things on the bottom clean enough.

If you want to go with no filtration look in to using real plants as a filter. That would be an awesome set up.

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

I was wondering why all the plants were plastic...
...then I saw the turtles. Yes, their poop would be great for plant growth, but only if the turtles themselves aren't in the water!

#11 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

It is a nice looking tank. The aquascaping looks really good.

Filtration is important for more than just waste on the bottom of the tank. High levels of ammonia from biological processes are likely to cause you significant issues and dead fish without filtration. As the fish grow the problem will also accelerate. It is definitely something you should look into resolving sooner rather than later.

#12 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

I was thinking maybe the bullheads, crayfish, and clams keep things on the bottom clean enough.

Simply put - No.

You are not trying to keep it clean so much as convert nasty chemicals - ammonia which comes in the fish, crayfish and I imagine clams waste products and also anything dead plants or fish decomposing - into something safer for the fish. The only real way to do that is build up bacteria which will comes from filtration, or using lots of live plants.

Andy

#13 Guest_XeevXwm_*

Guest_XeevXwm_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

i love the turtles. That to me really makes it!

awesome tank!

#14 Guest_AtomFullerene_*

Guest_AtomFullerene_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

Nice tank. You can use plants as a filter without having them devoured by the turtle if you get a big pump and set up a rubbermaid or whatever next to your aquarium. Stick a bunch of plants in the rubbermaid (either submerged aquatics, or emergent plants, or houseplants that grow hydroponically) and pump the water from the tank through it. Lights over the top with increase nutrient export. Trim the plants when needed....you also get free turtle food out of the deal. There are ways to work in bioballs for a DIY trickle filter too, but I dont have time to go into it.

#15 Guest_fishyeric_*

Guest_fishyeric_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

Anyone taking bets on how long that crayfish lasts? Has he molted in there yet to your knowledge?

#16 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

How is the tank coming along? Any updates? Add filtration yet?

#17 Guest_TonsOfFun5_*

Guest_TonsOfFun5_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:11 PM

No filtration yet. I have been meaning to get on that...my problem is I dont know exactly what type of cartridge I need to get for the filter I have because it is a used one that came along with the tank and there is no box. The only words I could see on the filter looked like Regent. I was at my local fish store the other day and browsed the filter section but didnt see any brand names called Regent and gave up. All ive changed on the tank at this point is I put a blue background on the back. Which made me realize I need to get some real lighting now too. I may try to take some pictures of my filter and see if anyone can help tell me what to get for it.

#18 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

I use whipser filters and ive never had a problem with them (no white water after a filter change, ive never had it happen using activated carbon). might want to write down what model it is so that either someone on here or someone at the store can point you in the right direction on what size/type of filter

Edited by panfisherteen, 23 October 2009 - 10:42 PM.

#19 Guest_SlimSanta_*

Guest_SlimSanta_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:52 PM

If you have the 20I, I've got a brand new filter and foam dealie for it. I gutted the filter for the motor (a top secret project :twisted: )

#20 Guest_TonsOfFun5_*

Guest_TonsOfFun5_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

So I am finally running some filtration on the tank now. I ended up using one of the used filters that came with the tank. I hadnt been using it originally because it seemed big and bulky, and I didnt know what kind it was either. But I figured out when I was at my LFS that I actaully had an Emperor 400 on my hands. So I bought some cartridges and now the Emporer is up and running. I was actually able to figure out what the other filter that came with the tank was too, an Aquaclear 110. So now im wondering if I should set up the Aquaclear in addition to the Emperor. Another idea I had was to pair the Emperor with a Magnum 350 canister instead of using the Aquaclear.

What do people think? Should I go for the Magnum, or just use the Aquaclear?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users