Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:31 PM

I found this in ne kansas
Posted Image
thanks for any help

#2 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:30 AM

It is hard to see characteristics from the photo, but on first glance I would say a Luxilus because of that nice big eye. Nature Serve has Common Shiner L. cornutus listed as common and the Striped shiner L. chrysocephalusis listed as rare. The biggest difference is the amount of scales between the dorsal fin insertion and the head. <20 are Striped, >20 are Common (approx.)

Good luck on your collections

#3 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

It is hard to see characteristics from the photo, but on first glance I would say a Luxilus because of that nice big eye. Nature Serve has Common Shiner L. cornutus listed as common and the Striped shiner L. chrysocephalusis listed as rare. The biggest difference is the amount of scales between the dorsal fin insertion and the head. <20 are Striped, >20 are Common (approx.)

Good luck on your collections

It doesn't look too much like the commons I have seen. Commons tend to have larger more noticable scales, a fatter body shape, and reflect a metallic blue in the light.

This minnows lacks the first two traits and seems to reflect a strangely pearlescent shade of blue.

Plus the shape of the dorsal fin seems too sharp for a common.

Then again it could be a juvenile common, i have little experience with the small ones.

#4 Guest_jamez_*

Guest_jamez_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the all help. I will try to get a better photo of one up in a couple of days. The one here in the photo is dead so may not give an accurate representation of its true self. The common shiner does range in my area tho.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users