Ids comfirmations please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jamez_*

Guest_jamez_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

Here are some photos of some fish found the other day here in NE Kansas and my attempts at ids. This first one was found half dead missing parts of its fins.
Posted Image
central stoneroller?

Posted Image
red shiner or redfin shiner?

Posted Image
mosquito fish?

Posted Image
common shiner and red shiner or redfin shiner? The first one was ided as a possible common shiner on this site by someone else from a different photo. This may be a better photo for an ID.

Thanks for any imput

#2 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:49 AM

Good job with the IDs! The first is definate Stoneroller. The second pic is hard to put an ID on, looks like a Cyprinella sp. to me but may be Redfin shiner Lythrurus umbratilus. The third is a mosquitofish likely Western, Gambusia affinis. The fourth pic looks to be a Redfin shiner with another fish... the other is not a Common shiner (scales are too big between dorsal fin insertion and nape), possible Striped shiner but it is hard to put an ID on that one from the picture. Hope this helps.

Tim

#3 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

In the bottom photo, the bottom fish looks like a Red Shiner (Cyprinella lutrensis). In fact all of your fish with characteristics from the Cyprinella genus look like they're Red Shiner. You do have a Lythrurus species in the bottom picture (the fish situated above the Red Shiner). Darter1, may be right one with the Redfin (Lythrurus umbratilis) ID, but I'm not familiar with the other Lythrurus species found in your area. It may very well be one of the others.

Edited by NateTessler13, 25 September 2009 - 09:20 AM.

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

I think the fish in the last image to left is the redfin shiner Lythrurus umbratilis umbratilis we see in central Missouri within the Missouri flood plain. Breeding males get the dark / charcoal purple color on flanks of a deeper body. Have some of same as part of our assemblage in quarry.

#5 Guest_jamez_*

Guest_jamez_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:34 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the input. Who would of thought iding fish could be so complicated lol. Ill try to get some better pics of the shiners in the following days, them buggers just dont wanna stay still for a photo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users