Help! Native fish newbie...

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sicklid_*

Guest_sicklid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and North American fish. I have several aquariums with rare, and exotic fish from all over the world, but nothing local. I realized a few days ago that I made a huge mistake in overlooking the native fish from my area. Not only are they much cheaper, but you also get to go through the fun of catching them.(right?) I live in the Philadelphia area and would prefer only species native to the creeks of the surrounding counties. Any advice would be appreciated. I know nothing about which ones to get, water conditions, etc. I have done some research (leading me to this site), and narrowed it down to a few species I would like. Please help with these in particular. Sorry don't know taxonomy yet :(

margined madtom
banded killifish
blacknose dace
swallow tail shiners
sunfish- unsure which kind to get, prefer small
darter- do darters live in my area?

Thanks guys. Please excuse the avatar as I sadly have no native fish yet.

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

welcome...we have another member mike (sonix) that is new and is also from philly. you do have some darters in your area. darters, blacknose dace, and the banded killifish would make a nice tank. so maybe will say the killis can be a bit boisterous and they are right. but you cant go wrong with dartesrs :)

this link will help you see what fish are in your watersheds and systems

#3 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

The sunfish species is something you have to choose carefully. I had a dollar sunfish that was super agressive. I had to move it to its own tank. I also have a rock bass that is calm and placid and lives peacefully with my minnows. I do not have enough experience with all the sunfish species though to suggest a good one for your tank.

#4 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and North American fish. I have several aquariums with rare, and exotic fish from all over the world, but nothing local. I realized a few days ago that I made a huge mistake in overlooking the native fish from my area. Not only are they much cheaper, but you also get to go through the fun of catching them.(right?) I live in the Philadelphia area and would prefer only species native to the creeks of the surrounding counties. Any advice would be appreciated. I know nothing about which ones to get, water conditions, etc. I have done some research (leading me to this site), and narrowed it down to a few species I would like. Please help with these in particular. Sorry don't know taxonomy yet :(

margined madtom
banded killifish
blacknose dace
swallow tail shiners
sunfish- unsure which kind to get, prefer small
darter- do darters live in my area?

Thanks guys. Please excuse the avatar as I sadly have no native fish yet.

Hi,
My dad live in the Philly area, so I've visited that area, done some hiking and fish collecting there. I visit the Ambler area, and have been to the Pennepack Creek
watershed a lot to observe and collect fish. ( I hope I've spelled the name right). You have some neat fish in the area. Here is what I've seen and or collected:
Black nose dace, creek chubs, satin fin shiner, redbreast sunfish, quillback, northern hogsucker. There are plenty of other species as well. I just have not netted and keyed them out. It would not surprise me if johnny or tesselated darters are there.

I don't know if I'll be in that area till next spring, but if you want to do some collecting, let me know, and I'll keep in touch.

- Jan - LI, New York

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users