Finding Madtoms

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sicklid_*

Guest_sicklid_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hi, anyone know a good place to find madtoms in Philadelphia area? Which type of madtom are they, and how does one go about catching such a creature? Thanks.

#2 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:39 AM

I think there is a site that will tell you what lives where in PA. There is one in MD and a lot of other states. Google Pennsylvania Wildlife and alternatives to that. Eventually you will find it. I am from Delaware and I have never found a madtom in the time I collected there but it has been almost a decade. Lot's of baby bullheads though.

#3 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

Hi, anyone know a good place to find madtoms in Philadelphia area? Which type of madtom are they, and how does one go about catching such a creature? Thanks.

http://www.natureserve.org/getData/dataSets/watershedHucs/master.htm
This site can help you some.

Edited by CATfishTONY, 26 September 2009 - 10:49 AM.

#4 Guest_sicklid_*

Guest_sicklid_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

Thanks guys. Very appreciated. If I do get a baby bullhead how long do you think I could keep it under six inches by strictly managing its intake? At least a few years?

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:27 PM

I caught a baby yellow bullhead this spring, and it's about 6 inches now. I haven't limited its food intake, that's just how much it grew.

Edited by schambers, 26 September 2009 - 11:28 PM.

#6 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:42 AM

Thanks guys. Very appreciated. If I do get a baby bullhead how long do you think I could keep it under six inches by strictly managing its intake? At least a few years?

Well, I caught 6 small 1 inch bullheads this spring. I guess my pumpkinseed must have eaten all but one, because they disappeared without a trace. The one I have left is a character! He has been in a 20 gallon tank with a pumpkinseed. He has only grown to 3 inches, but from everything I have read this is unusual. He just ate my female flagfish, so he has grown much fatter!
I know he's not a madtom because of his tail fin. When I caught him I was hoping he was a tadpole madtom, but then I shined my flashlight on the other side of the rock I was perched on and saw the father and a whole mess of babies swimming around. The male was about a foot long.
BTW I do not hold back on the food, but the pumpkinseed is a bully, so that may limit his intake.

Edited by Elijah, 01 December 2009 - 02:43 AM.

#7 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

One tactic that worked for my relatives in Winsconsin did was use an empty Coca Cola can with a little bit of earthworn in it, tie the tab with fishing line to a dock or overhanging branch and toss the can in some cover. Bigger species can't get in but small bullheads and madtoms can(pun unintended). Then pull out the can next morning and you got a madtom or very tiny bullhead or maybe even a small channel or blue catfish.

#8 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:42 PM

where at are you? im in horsham

#9 Guest_pjenkins_*

Guest_pjenkins_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

where at are you? im in horsham

I live in North Carolina, Mooresville. Thats in the peadmont area does anybody now where to find Matoms here?

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

I would advise not getting that baby bullhead until you are ready to house it. You don't necessarily need the tank set up right now, but you should have the space available and funds to get it going. It will grow faster than you think, and people's situations change and they don't always get that larger tank they planned on.

Besides, if you thought about it, I'll bet that you won't want to dramatically stunt it on purpose. You wouldn't likely try to get a mini German shepherd by limiting its food, for example. Not a nice existance.

#11 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:12 PM

Make the ride out to Oxford, about 50 minutes from philly. I know where to find madtoms. I am working on a southeastern PA get together for probably late april or early may. It'll be great, you'll love it!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users