Saw a fish, think it was a gar!

35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

I saw a large cigar shaped fish swimming around a peir today in Lake Couer d' Alene, it appeared to be a type of gar, which I have never seen here except in aquaria. Could it have been one? It was roughly two feet long and had HUGE teeth and was striking at some YOY and small sunfish and bass. I'll try to get photos.

#2 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:34 PM

did it's head look like -< instead of the regular sideways U shape of a head of a fish (top view)? It would be most likely a Longnose you did see if it was a gar (although it could have been a spotted or a shortnose), since they have a long "snout"

Edited by panfisherteen, 26 September 2009 - 10:43 PM.

#3 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:26 PM

did it's head look like -< instead of the regular sideways U shape of a head of a fish (top view)? It would be most likely a Longnose you did see if it was a gar (although it could have been a spotted or a shortnose), since they have a long "snout"

It had a leopard-spotted back and fins, a long snout filled with sharp teeth, and it moved really fast at its prey.

#4 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:59 PM

yep, gar :cool2: you should go back there with a spinning rod with a 20-30lb wire leader and a Rapala Floater 11 and see how they fight on rod and reel (if you use monofilament set the hook hard) :mrgreen:

#5 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:48 AM

I've never seen them up here, so I think they are rare or just not very social. I'll see if he there tommorrow and use a StormEye RealSunfish to entice him. Thanks again, panfisherteen!

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:51 AM

If it was a gar it should not be anywhere near there. Closest gar to Idaho is the Shortnose and it occurs only isolated in pockets of Eastern Montana. I would highly suggest it was an Esox species and not a Gar.

#7 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

This fish looked nothing like an Esox, too thin profile, long snout and rounded fins. Could it be a released aquarium fish?

#8 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:18 PM

could be a released fish

#9 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

Fantastic.... If it was one it would have been Illegally imported across state lines, Illegally possessed and then Illegally released..

Photos would help and are a bit needed in cases like this and reports like these.

#10 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

I'll try to get photos as soon as I can, Brooklamprey.

#11 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

I'll try to get photos as soon as I can, Brooklamprey.

Please do if you can as the fish needs to be properly Identified and documented. If you can catch it and remove it that would also be a bonus.

#12 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:57 AM

Well, I'll try, I called my friend and he said he saw it there, kind of basking next to the dock.

#13 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:57 PM

I have tried, but alas I have failed. I cannot, for the life of me, refind this fish. I think he was removed or has changed his territory. I'll keep searching. When are gar most active?

Edited by catfish_hunter, 07 October 2009 - 12:03 AM.

#14 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:56 AM

Majority of activity and foraging is late Dusk. However, this is assuming this is a captive released Florida Gar. Shortnosed and Longnosed will often be active during the Late afternoon and early Morning. Florida will seek an area with some amount of cover, be it vegetation or downed trees / brush, during the day. Shortnosed and Longnosed will often be seen in open water some distance from the shore.

#15 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

really? gar here like mid-morning through mid afternoon

Edited by panfisherteen, 07 October 2009 - 05:24 PM.

#16 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

really? gar here like mid-morning through mid afternoon

And you have Longnosed....

They are regularly seen and active as stated early morning and Late afternoon (And Late night on Moonless days) near shore and often seen lounging visibly in open waters at other times. They tend to be a rather visible species all around on open waters. Does not mean this is the best time to catch them or sample them with typically available tools. Most mid morning and Mid afternoon behavior is just laying around or basking. These fish are very difficult to approach when laying around in mid day.

Granted if you have some electroshocking equipment you can nab up a bunch of them but if you try seining, dipnetting or angling you have a challenge on your hands.

#17 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

Rapala Original Floater 11 will catch it, as long as you dont go within 20' of it it will show interest in the lure, as soon as it strikes set the hook hard! edit from here> Yea usually they are basking, but thats really the only time theyre up unless they are in pods which they slowly scan the shallows, thats what Ive noticed when I fished for them

Edited by panfisherteen, 07 October 2009 - 08:52 PM.

#18 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:54 AM

Will the poor gar die in the winter up here?

#19 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:39 AM

Will the poor gar die in the winter up here?

With luck yes....It should not even be there.

#20 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

just hope there isnt another (or more than one other) gar somewhere else in the lake

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users