Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

.....here they are.
Long Nosed Dace
Attached File  t1.jpg   73.77KB   1 downloads
Daces again
Attached File  t2.jpg   127.26KB   0 downloads
Java Moss on driftwood cloudy but clearing.
Attached File  t3.jpg   91.74KB   0 downloads
Elodea, Vall Gig, Ludwiga, Java Moss, and Peter Griffin
Attached File  t4.jpg   99.73KB   0 downloads
Dwarf Babys Tears
Attached File  t5.jpg   95.18KB   0 downloads
Darter poking out from the driftwood
Attached File  tank1.jpg   97.87KB   0 downloads
Pingi Logsuckers (non native cold water) and Dace
Attached File  tank2.jpg   136.66KB   0 downloads
Dace again
Attached File  tank3.jpg   71.95KB   0 downloads
Logperch
Attached File  tank4.jpg   105.63KB   0 downloads
Good pic of the Ludwiga and a couple Pingis whizzing by
Attached File  tank5.jpg   129.34KB   0 downloads
Pingi again
Attached File  tank6.jpg   108.75KB   0 downloads
Thats a rainbow darter looking at me taking a pic of him
Attached File  tank7.jpg   92.53KB   0 downloads
Blackworms in substrate
Attached File  worms.jpg   71.47KB   1 downloads
White Sucker (horrible pic but he is super shy, eating like a horse too, read horror stories but lucky so far.)
Attached File  white sucker.jpg   87.49KB   0 downloads

Haven't managed to catch pics of the Fantail, or greenside darters as well as the red side dace.

Edited by lozgod, 29 September 2009 - 10:28 PM.

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:04 AM

Nice tank, have a full tank shot?

I'm not sure that the one pic is a rainbow, I think it's a logperch again.

#3 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:21 AM

Nice tank, have a full tank shot?

I'm not sure that the one pic is a rainbow, I think it's a logperch again.

I'll get one when it clears. The rainbow is looking out the tank. Look again. All you can see is his face.

#4 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

More Pics

Cat wanted to kill my inhabitants in my tank
Attached File  cat1.jpg   61.17KB   0 downloads3
Dace Again
Attached File  dace.jpg   115.14KB   0 downloads
Another Dace pic
Attached File  dacey.jpg   73.77KB   0 downloads
Fantail Darter
Attached File  darter.jpg   91.61KB   0 downloads
Greenside Darter
Attached File  greenside.jpg   119.6KB   0 downloads

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

I'll get one when it clears. The rainbow is looking out the tank. Look again. All you can see is his face.

ah yes, I see those blue cheeks now!

#6 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

Few more pics. Nothing exciting. Water is clearing. When it clears I will start a thread in the pics section.Attached File  babys tears.jpg   86.23KB   0 downloads
Attached File  dart.jpg   87.87KB   0 downloads
Attached File  dacer.jpg   79.43KB   0 downloads

#7 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

Nice looking tank, the clearing takes time and a quick water change can help. Also, I think the "longnose dace" you posted is a blackside dace, and the "fantail darter" and "greenside darter" you posted appear to be rainbow darters. Hard to tell though with the cloudiness.

Blake

#8 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

The very first picture is a redside dace.

#9 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:01 AM

Getting frustrated with the on again off again cloudiness. Did a 40% water change today. Still cloudy as heck. Being patient. Still no nitrites or nitrates detected.

DID HOWEVER!! Catch a good pic of the sucker. He is growing pretty good. Proud of that considering what I have read of other peoples experiences.
Sucker
Attached File  sucker.jpeg   64.82KB   0 downloads
Logperch
Attached File  logperch.jpeg   69.4KB   0 downloads

Edited by lozgod, 09 October 2009 - 02:12 AM.

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:36 AM

I agree the dace is a redside dace, Clinostomus elongatus. The sucker appears to be a white sucker and that last fish didn't look like a log perch. It might be a greenside darter... Where did you collect these? Or maybe you mentioned this and I missed it.

#11 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

I agree the dace is a redside dace, Clinostomus elongatus. The sucker appears to be a white sucker and that last fish didn't look like a log perch. It might be a greenside darter... Where did you collect these? Or maybe you mentioned this and I missed it.

Posted Image I know it's a redside dace and yes the last one is a greenside darter. They came from me and aquabid as part of my convention gas fund project!

#12 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

Lozgod,
Your cloudiness could be from a bacterial bloom. It is a common occurrance in new tanks. The bacteria explode to a level beyond what the tank can naturally carry, turning the water cloudy for a while. Then they die back and the water gets clear again. Water changes actually prolong the problem, as the population just keeps on a-growin'. If your nitrogen levels are under control, I'd let it sit for a week. It'll clear on its own, whether it's bacterial or just suspended clays.

#13 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Where did you collect these? Or maybe you mentioned this and I missed it.

I burglarized someones house in NY while they were in Tampa.

My ID abilities suck but I do know what is in the tank.

Logperch
Rainbow darters
Greenside Darters
Fantail Darters
1 White Sucker (obsessed with his growth)
Longnosed Dace
Redside Dace
Pingi Logsuckers

also
Ghost Shrimp
A couple beat up ramshorn snails the darters are eating up
Blackworms

Plants:
Ludwiga
Vall Gig.
Java Moss
Elodea
Dwarf Babys Tears
Frogbit

Also I am going to AA. Ammonia Anonymous. Letting the tank run it's course. Stopping my obsession on the nitrogen cycle. Fish seem happy and healthy so I am going to take that as a sign of everything is ok.

#14 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

Lozgod,
Your cloudiness could be from a bacterial bloom. It is a common occurrance in new tanks. The bacteria explode to a level beyond what the tank can naturally carry, turning the water cloudy for a while. Then they die back and the water gets clear again. Water changes actually prolong the problem, as the population just keeps on a-growin'. If your nitrogen levels are under control, I'd let it sit for a week. It'll clear on its own, whether it's bacterial or just suspended clays.

It is definitely debris. When I clean out the sponges when I do my water changes mud comes out (not literally but brown/black dirt).

Making a few temporary changes until I got a crystal clear tank and an established nitrogen cycle.

1. Removed powerhead. Want the debris in the tank to settle.

2. Added another small HOB filter. Placed powerhead sponge in it as well as a zeolite bag (see #3)

3. I have been doing large daily water changes because of the cloudiness and ammonia readings. Done with the water changes for at least a week. I am convinced that is what is halting my nitrogen cycle. Added a bag of zeolite in both HOB filters to make sure it doesn't go through the roof but they are rated for 20 gallon tanks so it should leave enough to feed the plants and to get a cycle running. Trying to find a happy medium between the health of the fish, plants, and bacteria.

4. New HOB filter has a bio-wheel. Really didn't want to go there but am at my wits end with this cycling so I sold out.

5. I am done with the obsession with testing the ammonia levels everyday. Going to stop testing ammonia and starting to test for nitrites and nitrates either EOD or E3D. I've been getting ammonia readings since day one and nothing else. I think my good intentions have been causing the problems. Giving it a break and letting nature take its course. The only reason I am breaking out the ammonia test kit is if I see signs of stress in any of the fish. Tested it tonight and got a reading of 1.0 ppm. That was with no water change. That is the lowest it has been pre-water change so it is dropping.

6. Dosed again with the bottle nitro bacterias. Had no luck with this stuff so far but there is a chance I was removing it as I added it due to water changes.

Edited by lozgod, 10 October 2009 - 12:55 AM.

#15 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:07 AM

ok. Testing my ID skills. The rainbow is easy to pick out but the other darter would be a Fantail right?

May be too difficult to tell in the pic but if you can use deduction the only darters in the tank are listed above 2 posts back.
Attached File  fan.jpeg   92.56KB   0 downloads
Attached File  fantail.jpeg   73.39KB   0 downloads
Attached File  rain.jpeg   77.49KB   0 downloads

#16 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:38 AM

Couple more rainbow shots. When the tank gets clear I may buy a camera. Taking pics of the tank is becoming an addiction. lol. For me and the rainbow darters. They are starting to pose for the camera.
Attached File  rr.jpeg   89.22KB   0 downloads
Attached File  rrr.jpeg   75.15KB   0 downloads

#17 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

ok. Testing my ID skills. The rainbow is easy to pick out but the other darter would be a Fantail right?

The other fish I see in these shots is a greenside darter. Fantails typically hide in caves a lot and have a very pointed snout.

#18 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:24 PM

Covered the gravel with a thick layer of playsand. Hoping it will hold the soil down. Also that was my plan from the beginning. I've joined Farmer Todd in the freshwater deep sand bed club! Also I SWEAR THIS TIME!!!! I will not continue my nitrogen cycle obsession. Just going with the flow.
Attached File  sand.jpeg   90.39KB   0 downloads
Attached File  tankk.jpeg   78.83KB   0 downloads

Edited by lozgod, 10 October 2009 - 10:29 PM.

#19 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

looks like sand was the ticket. After 12 hours it is more clear than it's been since I set it up.

Also the fish seem to like it a lot better too.
Attached File  happy fish.jpeg   78.93KB   0 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users