Northern Virginia collecting areas?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BUGGEEK_*

Guest_BUGGEEK_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

I am looking for some help in locating areas in the northern virginia area for darter collecting. I conduct biological monitoring for fairfax county so I know that if I want something besides tesselated and fantail I need to go elsewhere. We also get the occasional shield, stripeback and greenside but they are so rare that it isn't worth heading out to where we have gotten them in the past. Where are some good spots in the surrounding area and what have you guys gotten in the past?

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

If you go into higher gradient streams further west, you should find more Greenside darters, as well as Rainbow darters (I know they are there but am not sure to what extent they have spread just yet...I'm planning on finding out more about that next time I head up there.

#3 Guest_BUGGEEK_*

Guest_BUGGEEK_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:22 AM

There are rainbow darters this far north? I thought they were only in the southwestern part of the state.

#4 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

Hey there, I work for DC government but live right there by Old Town off the beltway. I have really only been able to find tessies in the streams I have kicked with my wife.

In Rock Creek we got 2 greenside darters almost exactly a month ago today during our electroshocking, so they seem to be around but not nearly as abundant as other species.

Is it just darters you are seeking?

#5 Guest_BUGGEEK_*

Guest_BUGGEEK_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

I am currently only looking for darters. ove how they scoot around the bottom of the tank.

Tessellated darters are by FAR the most common darter we have here in fairfax county. Fantails are a distant second with greensides, shields and stripebacks extremely rare. I have a tessellated I got here in fairfax and 2 greensides from the shenandoah at home already. I was just wondering if there were any other more colorful species close by. It seems if you want color you need to go to the south west portion of the state.

#6 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:58 PM

Rainbow darters were introduced and are spreading in the Potomac system. Matt Ashton has seen them while sampling in Maryland, and I have a stream in Loudoun county I would like to keep to myself for now (though as long as you promise to not wipe them out, you could probably convince me to PM it to you) but they are definitely there (along with greensides and some of the nicest fantails I've seen). With any luck, later before it gets TOO cold (though I've collected with ice on the water) I would like to head up there again. I will let you know, and if you haven't gotten what you wanted by then, perhaps we can meet up and I'll take you there.

I also have a spot or two a little south of Fredericksburg where I can get Shield and Stripebacks fairly consistently. If you need help I will do what I can.

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

Rainbows and greenside darters are common in most tributaries of the Potomac in Maryland from say southern Montgomery County upstream. The rainbow introduction likely was a result of potential stream captures in the upper Potomac through the Casselman or Youghiogheny rivers. The same for greensides, but there is also evidence that points to the possibility of bait bucket, or who knows it could be both pathways.

#8 Guest_BUGGEEK_*

Guest_BUGGEEK_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:30 AM

Kanus, I'm just looking for a couple rainbows if you are willing to give out your "secret spot." You can check my profile to send me an e-mail. Is the spot accessible to young kids? I want to take my 5 year old with me. Thanks in advance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users