"Wild" platies

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

Instead of derailing an existing thread I thought I'd show my ignorance of Mexican fishes. Does anyone here keep "wild" platies and are they available to the general public?

I just don't spend time in front of the tanks at the local pet shop usually since I'd rather be in the water.

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

Instead of derailing an existing thread I thought I'd show my ignorance of Mexican fishes. Does anyone here keep "wild" platies and are they available to the general public?

I just don't spend time in front of the tanks at the local pet shop usually since I'd rather be in the water.

A good number of the wild Xiphophorus are available through American Livebearer assoc. members.
I have in the past kept many of the Swordtail species from various localities but not so many of the Platyfish.

The only one I have now is X. couchianus. these fish are highly endangered thanks to some (insert expletive) that thought they where more interesting looking than X. variatus so collected them and dumped the variatus. Well now the species has been pretty much hybridized to extinction.

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:27 PM

Somehow I'm not surprised yet saddened to hear this.

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

The wild platyfish are my favorite livebearers. I have worked with X. evelynae, couchianus and a few forms of maculatus. We actually caught some platies in Costa Rica the first time. I have no idea what species since we were well south of any known Xiphophorus sp. It was likely an introduction of some sort which would not be unusual as we were catching juvenile Tilapia as well.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users