hiding log perch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

I have a big log perch in my darter tank I tend to forget about because he NEVER comes out of hiding. Before I moved him from the 55 to the 20 long he swam about freely. Now he never moves from his hiding spot, he eats well (food drifts down their) but never moves from his hiding spot. He's been their for a month or so. Is their any way to get him to act normal again?

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

I have seen this same thing happen with a Striped darter I once had. I rearranged the tank and moved rocks etc... and this seemed to do the trick, could be worth a shot.

Edited by jblaylock, 08 October 2009 - 09:09 AM.

#3 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:38 PM

Is any of your other fish the tank boss in the tank and that is why he is all of a sudden shy?

#4 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

20 long might be a bit of a tight fit for a logperch, they are not small darters. Could be it's hiding because it thinks it's too visible in that small a space.

Also, give it a couple of weeks. About three weeks ago, I put a very large (3.5") and beautiful bloodfin darter in my big tank. It wasn't until this week that he started coming out and staying out. Sharp looking fellow.

#5 Guest_robinadair84_*

Guest_robinadair84_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

i have a logperch darter and after one day it is quit agoofy fish. im just curious what foods are best? i have not seen it eat any flake food yet.

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

You probably won't see it eat flake food, although it's possible. When I had several the one thing they would always eat was diced earthworm, along with defrosted bloodworms.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

i have a logperch darter and after one day it is quit agoofy fish. im just curious what foods are best? i have not seen it eat any flake food yet.

frozen krill work pretty good, or other large forzen foods... they have pretty big mouths and tend to only see larger chunks of stuff as work investigating.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_robinadair84_*

Guest_robinadair84_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

blood worms, and earth worms... huh well good then i have plenty of bloodworms. and after that my daughter loves playing wt earthworms. i figured small shrimp or dryed shrimp might work. thanks alot for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users