Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:46 PM

Finally got just about everything up and running-

Posted Image

Here's the main pump (700pgh) and chiller under the tank -

Posted Image
Posted Image

There's also two power heads hidden in the rocks (175 & 350pgh) -

Posted Image

Temps holding at 55deg in the morning and rising to @ 60 deg in the evening before the chiller turns back on.
Ready for some fish. Right now there's just a few rainbow darters and a few dace hiding in the rocks.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Any suggestions for some good lighting? I plan on moon lights at night.
Any other ideas or suggestions?
More rocks?

#2 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

That's a really cool looking tank. I would never have thought you could get away with that much rock without breaking the glass. Did you do something to distribute the weight?

I can't tell where the filter intake is. If this were my tank I might try floating plants with a stronger white light on top, so you'd get a sun-dappled look on the bottom. It'd be a pain to set up with a normal sump overflow though.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

That is freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
I wish I could find a cheap chiller.

Btw, you will love the moon lights. I have 2 of the white moon lights and I love them.

Edited by jblaylock, 13 October 2009 - 01:34 PM.

#4 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

I too am curious about the weight load in that tank. It is beautiful though. I wish i could get my tank decorated properly.

#5 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

That's pretty dope. I would cover a lot of that rock up with java moss. Definitely would crank up the lighting.

#6 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

Very cool!! May I ask why you decided to chill it? Particular species that you are trying to keep/breed?

I would add some Vallisneria to it. I find Val alot in rivers that I collect in and it always looks cool rippling in the current.

Again, awesome!

Brian

#7 Guest_creekcrawler_*

Guest_creekcrawler_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

Did you do something to distribute the weight?

The tank was custom made ( not for me) and has a 3/16" or 1/4" stainless plate bottom.
Most of the weight is bearing on that, not on the glass. I get most worried when I'm putting the rocks in - don't want to bang one into the sides.
Filter intakes are on the right ( the blue sponge things - they're temporary).

May I ask why you decided to chill it?

Years back, I ran a powerhead through a 1/2" line through the wall and into a 50 ft coil on the ground in the winter.
The tank was chilling to the 40's. The tiny bluegill went from dominant to practically dormant. Darters got very bright.
I was trying to simulate temps in local streams. Even had a lil steelhead smolt/parr all winter - he loved it.
Somewhere in the back of my mind I keep thinking about a few brook trout this time........

I'm pretty sure it was Vallisneria I saw in a local creek. Was thinking of adding that for sure - it seemed fine in current.

Right now it's just lit with a clip on shop light! I'm totally out of the loop with lighting though.
Any (cheap - the wife is ready to kill me already)) ideas? I was leaning towards some type of flood/spot fixtures to light some areas
& leave some dark. I figure, in real stream the whole thing isn't bathed in bright light....

Hard to believe I bought the tank and cabinet from an older fellow many years ago for $90!

#8 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:36 PM

For cheap, you can't beat shop lights. You can buy the four foot double bulb fixtures cheap. My local Lowe's sells "Plant and Aquarium" bulbs for $9.99 each. I just spray painted an old fixture black and it looks great. I've also used the clip on trouble lights with daylight spiral fluorescent bulbs. You can always upgrade later.

#9 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:05 AM

I would actually suggest shop lights, too. They're cheap and work pretty well. And if you paint the fixture like Susan suggested, no one will be able to tell it's not a standard aquarium hood.

Brian

#10 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

It looks like you've got a pretty nice hood too, so you can probably get away with not even having to paint them. Very awesome tank btw. It reminds me of what I see a lot of african cichlid keepers trying to portray. For the $150 or so you've got in that setup so far I'd say you're definitely getting your money's worth.

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

I can't see your pictures (stupid company internet monitoring thingamabob), so I don't know exactly what your hood set up looks like, but wanted to add that you can disassemble the shop light and rewire it into a regular hood as well.

#12 Guest_Piscator_*

Guest_Piscator_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

That is really cool. I like your earlier idea as well--running the water through the ground. Easier on the electric bill and will naturally match seasonal fluctuations.

Was this really a lobster tank--as in the kind that would be in a restaurant or grocery store? Neat find, either way. Congratulations!

#13 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:15 PM

With the cooler on do you run in to any problems with condensation?

#14 Guest_creekcrawler_*

Guest_creekcrawler_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

Was this really a lobster tank

No. The chiller unit came form a lobster tank.

No problems with condensation except for the first day I ran it the glass misted a little.
The real test will come next summer when it's warmer and the humidity gets ridiculously high....

Looks like I'll get a 4 ft fixture in it. I have a few laying around.
Thanks.

#15 Guest_TonsOfFun5_*

Guest_TonsOfFun5_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

Is that a real tree stump? How did you attach it up at the surface?

#16 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:09 PM

if you do keep some brookies remember there will be some predation, probly not much though until they get to a bigger size

#17 Guest_Apophis_*

Guest_Apophis_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

Right now it's just lit with a clip on shop light! I'm totally out of the loop with lighting though.
Any (cheap - the wife is ready to kill me already)) ideas? I was leaning towards some type of flood/spot fixtures to light some areas
& leave some dark. I figure, in real stream the whole thing isn't bathed in bright light....

I found these a while ago, the "T5HO Sunblaster Kit." They come in 2', 3', an 4' lengths and are linkable, so you could bunch them over parts of the tank. The link is the cheapest i've found for T5HO, but i've also seen them at gardening shops for $5-10 more. Nice, bright lights with 6400k bulbs.

2' http://www.accessdis.../sku-69190.html
3' sku-69189.html
4' sku-69188.html

#18 Guest_creekcrawler_*

Guest_creekcrawler_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

Is that a real tree stump? How did you attach it up at the surface?

It's a black walnut stump dug from 3 ft below the ground when I built a garage last year.
It's as hard as a rock - drilled a few holes with 1/4 stainless bolts and clamped it to the edge of the tank.
I thought it would sink, but it kept bobbing around a bit, so I anchored it.

Those sunblasters look cool! Gonna have to try a few after the moonlights are in.
I temporarily went with a T12 4ft fixture.

I've been playing with on/off times for the chiller.
Right now the tanks is going down to 48 deg at night and about 52 deg in the afternoon.
If i crank up the "on" times, I can get below 45 deg no problem.
If the chiller's running I don't get much condensation - I think because of the cooling fan on chiller circulating air around the glass.
The tank has a second layer of glass on the cabinet. I think that's helping too.

Up to six species now. Even have some emerald shiners, which I've never had any luck with before.

More pics to come. . . . .

#19 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

Another lighting option that's fairly inexpensive: Rig up 4 or 5 standard screen-in light sockets on a single line. Use spiral fluorescent day light bulbs. I've got three over my 65 gallon high, and it makes for a nice, bright light that doesn't use too much energy. For a 150, try higher wattage--100 to 150 spirals.

With all those rocks, have you thought about algae control? (You can't scrape rocks with a razor blade.) With bright light, the rocks will probably turn green in a hurry. I don't think there's a native equivalent of a big ugly pleco. Chinese algae eater, perhaps?

It's a black walnut stump dug from 3 ft below the ground when I built a garage last year.
It's as hard as a rock - drilled a few holes with 1/4 stainless bolts and clamped it to the edge of the tank.
I thought it would sink, but it kept bobbing around a bit, so I anchored it.

Those sunblasters look cool! Gonna have to try a few after the moonlights are in.
I temporarily went with a T12 4ft fixture.

I've been playing with on/off times for the chiller.
Right now the tanks is going down to 48 deg at night and about 52 deg in the afternoon.
If i crank up the "on" times, I can get below 45 deg no problem.
If the chiller's running I don't get much condensation - I think because of the cooling fan on chiller circulating air around the glass.
The tank has a second layer of glass on the cabinet. I think that's helping too.

Up to six species now. Even have some emerald shiners, which I've never had any luck with before.

More pics to come. . . . .

Edited by Bob, 17 November 2009 - 04:11 PM.

#20 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

Lights of America compact florescent floodlight fixtures can't be beat in price. They are available in 6500K and 10000K color temperatures. I've used these on pretty much every budget set-up I've had.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users