Setting up my first Riffle tank !

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hey guys, well ive decided to convert my 75 gallon tank into a riffle setup. I have collected rocks from a local creek and have purchased 2 Hydor Koralia 4's as well as 2 powerheads for oxygenation and surface current. I will be housing Darters in there, but what other species of fish thrive in a riffle environment? Also are there any native algae eaters that would be compatible. My only other concern is that the tank is located in a spare bedroom that stays cool in the winter, but can get pretty hot mid 80's in the summer. What species of darter should I be looking at? I know some will only thrive in very cool waters. Thanks in advance guys and ill have pics of my project coming shortly.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

Hello and welcome! Most darters are pretty tolerant of warm temps as long as there is plenty of oxygen, which it sounds like your setup will provide. Other good riffle inhabitants include dace, most shiners, and many other minnows; madtoms; and periwinkles (pleurocerid snails). Redbellied dace, stonerollers, fathead minnows, and periwinkles all will eat algae.

Edited by Newt, 15 October 2009 - 12:42 PM.

#3 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

• Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hello and welcome! Most darters are pretty tolerant of warm temps as long as there is plenty of oxygen, which it sounds like your setup will provide. Other good riffle inhabitants include dace, most shiners, and many other minnows; madtoms; and periwinkles (pleurocerid snails). Redbellied dace, stonerollers, fathead minnows, and periwinkles all will eat algae.

ok, thanks. I have some fiery black shiners on the way, woulkd those be suitable?

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

I think so. Cyprinella shiners are not really riffle species, but they do like some flow. As long as you have the decor in your tank set up to create variations in flow they should be able to find places to hang out.

#5 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

• Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

Here is an initial pic. Ill get some more once the cloudiness goes away and I rearrange a bit. I went out and got a rena XP3 canister filter to take the place of my Aquaclear HOB that decided to take a crap right after this pic was taken :( but I am using the jet output on the Rena and it really adds some current alongside my 2 Hydor 4's

Attached Images

• new tank.jpg

Edited by NYnativekeeper716, 15 October 2009 - 09:14 PM.

#6 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

Looks like it's going to be a very cool tank when the water clears up! Are you going to have any live plants in there? I often find Vallisneria in riffle areas when I'm collecting.

Brian

#7 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

• Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

Here are some updated pics. Did some rearranging and moved one of the pumps to the other side. Water is still cloudy but patience and me not messing with the rocks continuously will fix that. I have a fake plant in there for now, I need to find a good hardy plant that can thrive in there. I will try to get a hold of some Vallisneria Brian, sounds like a good idea. And yes that is a Botia you see on the rock, somehow I forgot him when I converted the tank and he has withstood all the rocks being dumped on him and 4 water changes back to back so I guess hes staying for now, theres no way im trying to catch him in there, at least not today. As for the current, I am very pleased. I think ive got all dead spots covered.

Attached Images

• New Tanks 005.JPG
  • New Tanks 006.JPG

Edited by NYnativekeeper716, 16 October 2009 - 11:30 AM.

#8 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:28 AM

Looks great! Besides the Vallisneria, you may want to tie some Java Moss to the driftwood. It'll look cool, and will eventually attach itself to the driftwood. Also, the U.S. has a version of "Java Moss", so you can simulate having a native plant species, in addition to the Val. Very well done!

Brian

Edit: Edited for content.

Edited by BTDarters, 18 October 2009 - 04:29 AM.

#9 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

Looking good

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users