Carp Removal In Utah

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:23 PM

Here's an ambitious project, trying to remove the carp from a 151 square mile lake in Utah to benefit the endangered June sucker. Carp make up ~90% of the fish in the lake.

Get them carp.

#2 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

I wonder how they remove the carp without harming the suckers?

#3 Guest_Groem_*

Guest_Groem_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

I wonder how they remove the carp without harming the suckers?

A commercial fisherman has been hired to catch the carp. If I have been reading the news right they removed 1.6 million pounds of carp from the lake last year. They plan on fishing out as many as they can over the next 5 years. One article said that they hope that they can get the carp population low enough that it crashes. It sounds like the biggest problem so far is finding a place to get rid all the carp. They have been made into fertilizer, compost, and food for a mink farm. It will be interesting to see how well the project works out over the next few years.

Assuming the can get the carp population to crash that is going to be a very empty lake. Hopefully they have plans to reintroduce the rest of the native fish back into the lake. Also what is going to stop the carp from making a comeback?

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:35 AM

Groem,

I guess the only thing to stop the carp from coming back is to hope that they don't get re-introduced. This can be very difficult, especially if the lake has inlets and outlets. Let's hope it works, though.

Also, welcome to the forum! I hope that you find your stay both enjoyable and informative!

Brian

#5 Guest_Garyoutlaw_*

Guest_Garyoutlaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

I realize this is an old topic but I honestly do not see a chance of the Carp population crashing reguardless of how few are left in the system. Carp are some of the most sucessfull spawners on the planet period. Here in Ohio the Lakes that are managed to grow Musky tend to still have some of the highest #'s of big Carp so casuial observation would say only the smaller Carp are getting chomped.

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

I dunno; we've quite successfully hunted many species to extinction over the years. Maybe it's just an issue of level of effort. (If you give a million monkeys a million typewriters...) One can hope, at least.

I realize this is an old topic but I honestly do not see a chance of the Carp population crashing reguardless of how few are left in the system. Carp are some of the most sucessfull spawners on the planet period. Here in Ohio the Lakes that are managed to grow Musky tend to still have some of the highest #'s of big Carp so casuial observation would say only the smaller Carp are getting chomped.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users