When is it too cold to collect?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:35 AM

Im new to collecting and id like to do some dipnetting this weekend. Im up in NY and it already snowed here yesterday. (Didnt stick though). So my question is when is it too cold to go collecting? Are shiners/minnows, Dace etc gonna be abundant for dip netting or do they migrate to deeper waters.

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

It's never too cold to collect! Actually, I should rephrase that. It's only too cold to collect when there's no open water, or it's too cold for you to stand it. Many fish do migrate to deeper water in the winter, but you can almost always catch some if you can find open water. I strongly recommend insulated waders if you're going to go out now, though.

Brian

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

JohnO and I collected all winter last year. We actually collected in places where we had to break surface ice off the water to get to the darters below. Here's my tips, though I'm sure that some with more experience may have more.

1. Waders and warm clothes
2. cover your head
3. insulated & waterproof gloves. I bought a pair of Ice Armor gloves from Dicks. Obviously you don't want to submerge your hands, but just handling the net and stuff, this will keep your hands warm and dry.

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:31 AM

My very first collecting trip was with Chip, Dustin, Charles, and some others. On the second day, there was freezing rain and our nets froze open when they weren't in the water. I had absolutely the best time. I rank that trip up there with the best I've ever had, including vacations. The company had a lot to do with it, but fish loss was very low as well.

#5 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

Great! Thanks for the replies. Thats good to hear since Buffalo, NY tends to be more cold than warm :P Ill definately have to get out this weekend then. I sure wish there were more people from my area that were into collecting to show me the ropes. Since im pretty new to this concept,

I bought a long handled fine mesh dipnet from Gander Mountain the other day. What areas should I be focusing on? and is there any special technique? Do I need to wade in or can I dip from shore or off a dock I know of some nice grassy areas next to some docks where I catch alot of pike in the summer(an inlet along the niagara river) or should I be looking at a different environment?( small ditches/creeks) And lastly, as far as technique goes, should I be scraping the net along the bottom or just dip it in and wave it through the vegitation?. Sorry for all the questions, but dont want my first trip to be a failure.

Edited by NYnativekeeper716, 16 October 2009 - 11:51 AM.

#6 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

On this topic, i've gone ice fishing before, I wonder if ice collecting is possible.

(collecting in an open stream in waders mid winter and facing the wet icy slopes on the way out of it sounds dangerous in the extreme).

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

If you collect out of cold water, let the fish come up to room temperature slowly. I keep the cooler lid closed and let the air from the air stone warm the water. It can take a couple of days. It's easier on the fish to take it slow.

#8 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

JohnO and I collected all winter last year. We actually collected in places where we had to break surface ice off the water to get to the darters below. Here's my tips, though I'm sure that some with more experience may have more.

1. Waders and warm clothes
2. cover your head
3. insulated & waterproof gloves. I bought a pair of Ice Armor gloves from Dicks. Obviously you don't want to submerge your hands, but just handling the net and stuff, this will keep your hands warm and dry.

Be careful with the warm clothes and covering your head. When you are active dragging a net, even on a cold winter day, you can work up quite a sweat! On my first December trip, I put on a wool hat and ski jacket, and boy did I regret that! Watch Survivorman or Bear Grylls - they'll tell you, sweating in winter weather can be more dangerous than getting a bit cold. I recommend having winter clothing in your vehicle for when you are inactive or done collecting, but you should have fall clothing for use while you are collecting and being active. Also, bring a change of clothes with you. If you have an accident, and get your clothing wet, you will want to have some dry clothes handy.

#9 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

You'll need to careful that fish dont get crushed or sliced by ice sheets sliding around in the net, and get small fish QUICKLY into the bucket if air temp is cold enough to freeze your net. Freeze-damaged fins may be prone to infection later. In flowing streams, check under rocks and logs if nobody seems to be up & about in the water.

My very first collecting trip was with Chip, Dustin, Charles, and some others. On the second day, there was freezing rain and our nets froze open when they weren't in the water. I had absolutely the best time. I rank that trip up there with the best I've ever had, including vacations. The company had a lot to do with it, but fish loss was very low as well.

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:38 PM

Collecting in cold water? There's no such thing. Down here we call it "Freezing your @ss off instead of sitting in front of a warm fire". Nobody with any sense does that.

#11 Guest_jrhodo_*

Guest_jrhodo_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:36 PM

As to how to catch the fish:

I usually collect in rivers, streams, creeks and ditches. Any place that doesn't dry out. I use a hand net, like the ones for trout fishing. I wear waders.

Different fish species will be in different areas; darters on the bottom, pickerel on the top, etc. I start by going along the bank, especially where it's undercut or there are weeds hanging over. Use a slow, sweeping motion against the current. It's hard to explain the speed, just don't go as fast as you think you should. Don't hesitate to get weeds or mud in the net, that's were the fish are. If you start catching water bugs, you're in the right spot.

After the bank, I'll net deeper, depending on the bottom. As in all fishing, look for structure; edge of a weed bed, fallen log, slow spot, transition between rock and mud bottom, etc. Don't hesitate to stay in a good spot or go back to it after a few minutes. Last time I was out, I caught two chubsuckers, an Iowa darter, a mud minnow, and a madtom in the exact same spot, about 10 minutes apart.

Keep in mind that as the water levels rise and fall, and temperatures change, the fish will be in different spots. I find that a stream is never the same from one collecting trip to another. That's the fun!

Oh yeah, some of my most productive spots have been drainage ditches along farm fields and creeks that are only a foot or two across.

#12 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

I remember that trip. Downright nippy, and we had to break through the ice in a couple of places. I recall seeing darters shooting around under the ice, so they weren't exactly inactive. Another problem - when you drop fish out of the net, be sure they land in the water and not on top of the ice.

Actually, if you're looking for some of the more delicate shiners or dace, winter is the best time to move them. In summer, mortality is high on the trip home, but I haven't lost one when the temperature is below the 50's. Something to do with lower metabolism, I think, but I'll leave that to the experts.

I'm mulling over going to look for brook shiners soon, now that it's getting chilly. If I can find them, I should be able to get them home.

#13 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

I would also add salt to your water in your hold out tank.fish can get sick after a few days, when you move them from a cold river to a warm house and i little anti fungal in the quarantine tank would not hurt.

#14 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:32 PM

I was out today in NW Ohio, and it was great! Not too cold at all. I put my fish in a cooler with an air stone, bring them in the house and leave them alone for two days to let the water warm up gradually.

#15 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hmm, so in theory, I _should_ be finding fish in my searches thus far...

Clearly I'm not looking in the right places!

#16 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

This was 5 years old.

#17 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

True, but I would expect the general theory to be accurate!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users