Michigan minnow id

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jrhodo_*

Guest_jrhodo_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

These fish (not the stickle back) have a black front edge on their dorsal fin. Also, they have a rosy coloration.

Thanks for your help with an ID. You guys are the greatest.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Look to be a chubsucker of some sort. I cannot tell whether they are Lake Chubsuckers Erimyzon sucetta or Creek Chubsuckers Erimyzon oblongus.

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

Definitely small chubsuckers...

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

Yep Chubsuckers of some sort.. Where did you get these?

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

Having never seen a lake chub sucker I vote for creek chub sucker as they look identical to the ones I get in Ma & NH streams.
Beautiful fish when young but too sensitive for my tastes. I can usually keep almost anything alive but I failed with them a few times. I don't take 'em any more.

Edited by mikez, 24 October 2009 - 10:40 AM.

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

Well, it is of a bit of importance to ID them due to the fact the Creek chubsucker is an Endangered species in Michigan. Which is why a location on these would help in figuring out which of the Two it is. Creek Chubsuckers are not too common and are only found in a few areas in the St.Joe and Raisin. (Maybe Kalamazoo river, Carl Latta questions these samples) Lake Chubsuckers are much more common and very often encountered all over Southwest and the central south counties in Michigan.

#7 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

Can really say why but I have seen young of both and these look like Lake Chubsuckers to me. The mouth position is what i usually use to ID them and these appear to have the more forward mouth of the Lake Chubsuckers, Creeks are more subterminal.

#8 Guest_jrhodo_*

Guest_jrhodo_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize I'd been asked a question.

I caught them in the Looking Glass River just east of 127 in Bath, MI. They were in slow moving water with vegetation and a muck bottom, just inches away from a rock bottom and faster current. I've been looking at pictures and am satisfied that they are Lake Chubsuckers.

I love them, they are beautiful and they eat algae and dead leaves. They are starting to take live tubifex worms and frozen brine shrimp.

#9 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:36 AM

They are very nice fish and do well in captivity. You may want to watch that stickleback with them though they can be very nasty to other fish in with them, they often bite little peicese of fins off of other fish.

#10 Guest_jrhodo_*

Guest_jrhodo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

You're right! We've already separated them from the sticklebacks due to some tail damage. Sticklebacks are now the smallest fish in the big tank...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users