• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:41 PM

Hi all.
Background:
As some know already, north GA has gotten a lot of rain. With it my folks' 3 acre pond has been full pool since August and now overflowing. With the previously (June) dry areas now wet, we have seen many plants come out of the seedbed ~ (2-3)Potamageton sp., Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia sp, Chara sp and some Polygonum in moist soils.

Doing some collecting today for L. repens, I came across ~ 1 meter square area with a small, very interesting plant in ~ 1 ft of water. I have yet to see this plant and it makes me wonder if it is completely aquatic or only temporarily.
It seems to have been growing under the water. I found it singly and well as connected by runners.
It is a very attractive little plant!

Thanks for any help ahead of time!

Posted Image

With runner and sister plant:
Posted Image

Larger clump with a sister plant coming directly off of it:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

Is that raspberry-looking thing a seed cluster or what? It might be Ranunculus pusillus, one of the buttercups. If so, the individual seeds should be sorta round and flat with a little hook or point on one side.

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the help. I reckon the cluster is the start of the fruits, I can look more into when I get home. I am looking into Ranunculus pusilis and looks so variable, and is definately a possibility. I am having a hard time finding pictures with leaves that look like the ones I have. I am looking more into it.
I will keep and eye on it in the pond and also the few clumps I have transferred to an aquarium to see if it is growing, rooting, dieing, etc while submerged.
Again, thanks for the help!

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

The places i see R.pusillus growing in NC are intermittently flooded. Never seen it permanently submerged in wild, but there are other plants that CAN grow submerged in captivity but dont naturally, like lizards tail, cardinal flower, cordifolius swordplant ... Most of the on-line pix show it flowering or fruiting (with narrow upper leaves) and dont show the roundish basal leaves.

Thanks for the help. I reckon the cluster is the start of the fruits, I can look more into when I get home. I am looking into Ranunculus pusilis and looks so variable, and is definately a possibility. I am having a hard time finding pictures with leaves that look like the ones I have. I am looking more into it.
I will keep and eye on it in the pond and also the few clumps I have transferred to an aquarium to see if it is growing, rooting, dieing, etc while submerged.
Again, thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users