Burbot ?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

Has anyone ever come across one of these guys? They look amazing. Kinda looks like a snakehead, Would I love to have a species tank with one of these bad boys. I was looking at NY native fish list today and stumbled upon this crazy fish.
Posted Image
Odd in appearance, burbot look somewhat like a cross between a bullhead and an eel. They have an elongated body with a single prominent chin barbel much the same as bullheads, and long dorsal and anal fins similar to those of eels. Their bodies are covered with tiny, deeply embedded scales that give burbot a "slimy" feeling.

Burbot are found sporadically across the State. They usually live in lakes, but are also found in some streams where there is cool water and plenty of hiding places. They are unique among New York State fish in that they are the only freshwater species that spawn in midwinter with ten to 12 fish forming spawning fish balls.

Although burbot are frequently caught by anglers, most people do not eat them. In the past, Indians and Europeans ate these fish, but today, human consumption is mostly limited to Scandinavian people who relish the livers.

Attached File  bur.gif   52.9KB   1 downloadsAttached File  lota1.jpg   151.52KB   1 downloads

#2 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

that's pretty cool

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:41 PM

They're an interesting fish. My understanding is that they require cool water, so you might need a chiller to keep one happy.

#4 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

• Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

They're an interesting fish. My understanding is that they require cool water, so you might need a chiller to keep one happy.

Yea im pretty sure you would need a chiller, I dont think id be able to get my hands on one anyhow. Just thought id see if anyone has ever kept one before. I think they look amazing.The breeding pair on the right kind of have a Jaguar cichlid type coloration/pattern, its stunning

Edited by NYnativekeeper716, 28 October 2009 - 07:51 PM.

#5 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:23 AM

Yea im pretty sure you would need a chiller, I dont think id be able to get my hands on one anyhow. Just thought id see if anyone has ever kept one before. I think they look amazing.The breeding pair on the right kind of have a Jaguar cichlid type coloration/pattern, its stunning

I haven't ever kept one, but each spring I go seining for darters with a group and we usually catch 1 or 2 juveniles. I also occasionally encounter them while scuba diving. I have eaten them as well (the meat not the liver). They are fairly common here in Minnesota and are frequently caught by icefishermen. Most people here refer to them as eelpout.
Check out http://www.eelpoutfestival.com/

#6 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

• Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:01 AM

I haven't ever kept one, but each spring I go seining for darters with a group and we usually catch 1 or 2 juveniles. I also occasionally encounter them while scuba diving. I have eaten them as well (the meat not the liver). They are fairly common here in Minnesota and are frequently caught by icefishermen. Most people here refer to them as eelpout.
Check out http://www.eelpoutfestival.com/

Ha thats great!

#7 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

Kinda Cod 0r Ling'ish. Ling are slimmy, too.

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

Good guess, it's basically a freshwater cod.

#9 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

Good guess, it's basically a freshwater cod.

It is a freshwater cod. I caught a juvenile once. I didn't keep it...it wasn't really alive...

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:08 PM

Sure.

#11 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:06 PM

one member on here has kept them before (Burbot, yes thats his name)

#12 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:27 AM

Most people here refer to them as eelpout.

Around here they are called Cusk, which could be confusing as their is a different saltwater fish of the same name.

I heard some parts of the country call them lawyer, why anyone would want to insult a fish like that I don't know.

#13 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

i know bowfin are called lawyer

#14 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

A few years ago I had one, very cool fish, but unfortunately he died. (I think i screwed up the water or something)

However...

I have another one

I thought I posted pictures of him already but I checked my tank thread and I guess I forgot.
Anyways, I found him in august while dipnetting for mudminnows in a canal not far from where I live. He was about 3 inches long at the time. Since then he has grown to about 8 inches I would say (I haven't measured him). He ate absolutely everything in the tank except for a small crayfish. He made a few goes but has decided he hates the feeling I guess, because he just ignores him now.

He likes to hide in a driftwood log, but once I come into the room, or splash my fingers in his tank, he comes out and looks around. VERY cool fish to watch. One thing I learned: my other fish I have kept (bass, pike, exotics) would see a feeder, and nail it down. I'm sure you know what I am talking about, they kind of tilt and angle at it and then BAM, they hit it and eat it... This burbot is different, he would stalk the feeders. He would swim behind the rocks towards them, even go into a cave once they swam past it and wait for them to cross the opening. Very different than other fish I have kept. He also likes to catch a feeder and then bring it to his cave o eat it (though he makes exceptions now that he is so comfortable with me)

Because he likes to hide, I added some shiners to the tank to give it some action. He shredded one, because it was too big too eat. I might try some different tank mates in the future.

Food wise, I have been feeding him shrimp lately now (those ones that come in a ring, please comment on whether this is a good food for a fish, my research on another site seemed like it would be good, though it should not be the exclusive food) Anyways, nothing beats a feeder fish, though. He spits out all kinds of things, and it took a battle of wills to get him to eat shrimp. Chopped shiner was no problem whatsoever for him, but he wont even look at pellets, or anything floating. He's a bottom feeder and that's the way he likes it.

The tank is in my basement, and the water stays pretty cool (sorry I broke my thermometer). I have not noticed any odd behaviour or signs of being unhealthy, that would lead me think it is too warm for him. We catch them out of the red river now and again, so I don't know how vital it is for them to be in deep cold water. My thoughts? Look at this long skinny, toothless, smooth-skinned fish with no spines and a lazy disposition. Where would you go? Theses guys must be a sweet find for a pike or other predator, so they head deep, where they grow big and then eat everything.

they are also slower growing (or so I was told!) than other fish, but this guy is putting on the pounds! Burbots are expected to be sexually mature at about 3 years, and usually (surprisingly) about a foot long. Needless to say, that info might be off, although it might be a growth spurt as a juvenile, followed by slower growth over the years to reach the 4 foot long 15-20 year old behemoths. time will tell, and I am prepared for him to at least double in size, and I plan to make it work, because they are so different a fish from anything else freshwater.

Ok thats it for now, any questions? Sorry about the long boring essay, i just really like these fish and I haven't shared my experiences yet. I forgot to post pictures, and that's really too bad, because I have had him for a few months

#15 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

Here are the pictures. Please forgive my shoddy tank pictures. To be honest I didn't want to post any pictures because of my lack of skill, and because my tank is not "there" yet. plastic plants, and I quickly threw up a garbage bag for a background when I do pictures. I have a goal with this tank but it is not there so please focus on the fish and not my shame.

August '09 - Just a baby
Attached File  DSC00204.jpg   131.88KB   20 downloads
Attached File  IMG_3934.jpg   417.84KB   10 downloads
Attached File  IMG_3938.jpg   471.81KB   10 downloads

September '09 - That awkward stage
Attached File  DSC00240.jpg   149.57KB   8 downloads
Attached File  DSC00243.jpg   146.97KB   7 downloads

October '09 - Bigger
Attached File  DSC00253.jpg   137.95KB   7 downloads
Attached File  DSC00254.jpg   145.69KB   6 downloads
Attached File  DSC00255.jpg   129.99KB   8 downloads

same fish, same rock, 3 months
Attached File  DSC00204.jpg   131.88KB   20 downloads
Attached File  DSC00256.jpg   160.04KB   10 downloads

Edited by Burbot, 31 October 2009 - 12:31 PM.

#16 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

thanks fund you're a pal, feel free to delete this post.

Edited by Burbot, 31 October 2009 - 12:32 PM.

#17 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:16 PM

Whoa, that second picture is a 1.57 meg .jpg! Are you able to edit the pictures so they're 72 dpi, and about 6 x 8 inches? Other than that the photo quality is good.

#18 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

I will get around to more photos another time.

Thanks

Edited by Burbot, 31 October 2009 - 12:32 PM.

#19 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

I always heard burbot are a fish of very deep and cold lakes (especially those staring with winni :) ) who thrive at night in the dead of winter so I never tried getting one.

But I recently learned from fish and game a small nearbye stream has a stunted population of them that never get over 6 inches. I kick netter their a few times andf got everything from dace to salmon, but i have yet to see a burbot.

maybe their hiding, Hmmm, Fishformers, Burbots in disguise!

Josh

-This halloween a new horror lurks in a brackish waterway near you. THE MUMMI!

#20 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

• Guests

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

Awesome fish man! Id like to get a hold of one someday. Glad to hear hes doing good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users