sunfish ID

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:54 AM

I know asking for an ID without a pic is out of line a little but i thought maybe someone could offer a couple of possibilities by my description. The fish in question is still small, definitely in the sunfish family, but the most distingushing features that i dont normally see, is the anal and pectoral fins both have black margins and the top fin has a black spot at the rear next to the body. If no one cares to venture a guess i wil try to get a pic which i am really bad at. Thanks for your time.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

I know asking for an ID without a pic is out of line a little but i thought maybe someone could offer a couple of possibilities by my description. The fish in question is still small, definitely in the sunfish family, but the most distingushing features that i dont normally see, is the anal and pectoral fins both have black margins and the top fin has a black spot at the rear next to the body. If no one cares to venture a guess i wil try to get a pic which i am really bad at. Thanks for your time.

That black spot is one of the key identifiers for bluegill...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:33 AM

Green sunfish and young flier also usually have a dark dorsal fin spot, but I agree that bluegill is most likely. Did the fish have vertical dark bars?

#4 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:58 PM

No verticle bars is what threw me off, and the black fringes on the fins as well. this may be a hybrid and it came from a local pond here in Indiana. Its a really nice lookin fish, and time will tell as i keep fish til they have long white whiskers :) definitely not a green those are plentiful here but all ive seen have white margins not black. Thanks for the help though :)

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

No verticle bars is what threw me off, and the black fringes on the fins as well. this may be a hybrid and it came from a local pond here in Indiana. Its a really nice lookin fish, and time will tell as i keep fish til they have long white whiskers :) definitely not a green those are plentiful here but all ive seen have white margins not black. Thanks for the help though :)

I had to read this post twice as I misread the whiskers line the first time and it really messed up my visualization of the fish in my head. I was picturing an odd sunfish like fish with black fin fringes and white barbels until I reread it and realized you were just keeping fish until they were old. :)

I wonder if anyone can identify the kind of catfish youd keep from that line. :)

#6 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

I had to read this post twice as I misread the whiskers line the first time and it really messed up my visualization of the fish in my head. I was picturing an odd sunfish like fish with black fin fringes and white barbels until I reread it and realized you were just keeping fish until they were old. :)

I wonder if anyone can identify the kind of catfish youd keep from that line. :)

LOL , that would be an odd fish indeed, but sadly we may start seeing some of those with all the stuff thats getting into our streams and rivers nowdays :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users