Disease or pregnancy?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

Forgive the horrible pic. Only have a camera phone. Ghost shrimp looks white inside versus the normal clear color.

Active, eating, etc. Thought it was frozen daphinia in it's stomach at first then realized it was in it's tail and head as well.

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:40 PM

I don't know why they turn white, but I do know that they don't tend to live very long after they do. I don't think there's anything you could do, either.

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

That's been my experience, too. Once they turn white, they die.

#4 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

maybe it saw a ghost? :D/ =D>

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:20 PM

That's been my experience, too. Once they turn white, they die.

Drat, you stole my line...

#6 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:27 PM

Drat, you stole my line...

I'm sorry, but I felt I was channeling you for a moment there.

#7 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

Did some research. This may be pre-molting going on. Problem is a lot of people lose their shrimp at this point. Some people find success supplementing very low doses of iodide. Kind of baffling because, unless I am correct you won't find iodide in a natural freshwater system.

Thoughts?

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:06 AM

Iodide is usually present in freshwater; pretty much all animals need a certain amount of it. Waters with very low iodide sometimes cannot support metamorphosing animals such as most insects and amphibians.

I don't think it is premoulting. In premoulting the exoskeleton itself takes on a cloudy appearance due to secretion of a fluid beneath it to separate it from the new exoskeleton. Your shrimp's muscle tissue is turning white due to protein denaturing. This is probably its death knell. Sorry for your loss. Did you buy it from a feeder tank? They're usually on their way out by the time you buy them from the petstore.

#9 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

Iodide is usually present in freshwater; pretty much all animals need a certain amount of it. Waters with very low iodide sometimes cannot support metamorphosing animals such as most insects and amphibians.

I don't think it is premoulting. In premoulting the exoskeleton itself takes on a cloudy appearance due to secretion of a fluid beneath it to separate it from the new exoskeleton. Your shrimp's muscle tissue is turning white due to protein denaturing. This is probably its death knell. Sorry for your loss. Did you buy it from a feeder tank? They're usually on their way out by the time you buy them from the petstore.

Yes they are feeders. Not all are having this issue so maybe some made the transition from feeder to pet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users