Ohio ID help please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

I caught these in the Maumee River. I don't think I've seen these species before.

Attached File  MaumeeSunfish.jpg   44.6KB   0 downloads

Attached File  MaumeeMystery.jpg   51.04KB   0 downloads

Had a good day out, but I got totally skunked on darters in the Maumee. I was hoping for some Logperch. :glare:

#2 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hey Susan,

Green sunfish and a gizzard shad.

Todd

#3 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:43 PM

i 2nd this motion lol :biggrin:

#4 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

Shad is super cool looking. Can we keep it please?

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

Sure, if you want to keep a notoriously fragile, schooling, pelagic filter feeder. :-)

#6 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

Shad is super cool looking. Can we keep it please?

Sorry, I didn't know what it was, so I put it back.

Thanks Todd and panfisherteen!

I almost guessed green sunfish. I've only seen one or two before. The opercle looks like the picture in my Peterson Field Guide, and it had a long body.

I threw a bunch of minners in my cooler for feeders, I'm going through them and trying to ID them. There are a couple of silversides that are still alive after 3 days! There is a stoneroller and some spotfin shiners that are going in the big tank. I also caught some silverjaw minnows in Bad Creek that I'm keeping.

#7 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:19 AM

We have a beautiful strain of Greens here in west central Indiana, particularly in a small lake close to my home, which is pretty much pristine as it is a private lake on forgotten property owned by a local family that just fenced it off, and posted it. However i was able to get permission to fish there, The Lake itself is unmanaged, and about as natural as it could get, always abundant wildlife and the fish are extremely colorful. I always use barbless hooks, and never keep any because ive found them to be too aggressive for a community setup , and dont want to devote an entire tank to this species, so i just enjoy catching them, enjoy the habitat and then quickly release.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users