Cast Net recommendations

27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:53 PM

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations as far as cast nets? Ive never used one, but they seem like they would work great. Toss it in a weedy area and pull it up. Seems like it would cover a large area and be pretty easy to catch alot of stuff. Any input would help. Thanks

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:03 PM

A cast net may not work so great in weedy areas. I've seen them work great in deep pools near shore that couldn't be seined without a boat, and in the outlets of tidal creeks. Pay close attention to the mesh size of a net if you're interested in catching anything smaller than an adult sunfish.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

I got one from BPS and used it successfully to catch bowfin and gar. When I learn how to actually throw it I will do even better! I shouldn't think it would work well in weeds and stuff like that.

#4 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:59 AM

Thanks, yea im gonna have to check the mesh size .

#5 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

casts nets work best in an area with a clean bottom, light vegetation would probably not effect it so much, but heavy weeds would defiantly foul it.

#6 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:32 AM

Cast nets with a 1 lb. per radius foot are best for any fish gathering. I have to agree that they are not real clean on grassy bottoms. You will tear up a lot of grass bed with one of these.
Plus, when you close the brail lines and 'bag' the fish, those double knotted monofilament twines will tear up delicate species .

*Throw it over some coon tail grass and you'll need a winch truck to retireve it.*

I have never seen a cast net with smaller mesh than 3/8" str. unless it was hand made .

You could make one with raschel 3mm but it would take a better man than I to throw the thing more than a few times.
Of course IM has that M'sippi style thing going and could probably handle it.

sa va.

#7 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

You want a smaller cast net. a 6' radius net is 12' wide, limiting how many small creeks you can work it in. I use a 3.5' net with a 3/4" mesh (the minimum legal mesh here in Georgia) and catch cyprinella shiners, sunfish, suckers, and all kinds of things. I don't catch darters, smaller shiners, and fish that are more appropriate for tanks.

You also need to be careful with your local laws. In Georgia, we can only take shad with a cast net in fresh water, so if you're using a net for collecting, make sure you're up on what you can bring home with which equipment.

#8 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

There's also the B.G.Granier "shiner scoop" which is sort of a large round dipnet head with a 3-string yoke and several feet of rope. Throw it out, pull it in. He designed it for getting slack-water minnows in deep weedy areas (with gators) not amenable to seining. In non-weedy places they just swim away from it, IME. Does anybody know is BG still making those?

shinerscoopDSC01387.cr.jpg

Edited by gerald, 05 November 2009 - 05:50 PM.

#9 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

There's also the B.G.Granier "shiner scoop" which is sort of a large round dipnet head with a 3-string yoke and several feet of rope. Throw it out, pull it in. He designed it for getting slack-water minnows in deep weedy areas (with gators) not amenable to seining. In non-weedy places they just swim away from it, IME. Does anybody know is BG still making those?

shinerscoopDSC01387.cr.jpg

The website is still there http://members.cox.net/shinerscoop/

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:44 AM

Does anybody know is BG still making those?

Think so... there were two that were raffle prizes at the convention this year... I bought tickets... I think Jim Graham won one... phil probably has it.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:41 PM

That 3-cornered one in the photo is not a shiner scoop - it is a Swamp Wolffe. BG also produces a Daphnia Scoop for smaller critters. The Swamp Wolffe is great for sampling ditches and stuff - it rakes the bottom really well. FWIW, this design is named after Ray Wolffe, AKA Choupique - a longtime NANFA member.

#12 Guest_kzimmerman_*

Guest_kzimmerman_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

Ha! I just came up with the idea for that throwable net thingyy the other day. Not surprised to see sombody beat me to the punch. Now I need another million dollar idea!

#13 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:27 PM

You want a smaller cast net. a 6' radius net is 12' wide, limiting how many small creeks you can work it in. I use a 3.5' net with a 3/4" mesh (the minimum legal mesh here in Georgia) and catch cyprinella shiners, sunfish, suckers, and all kinds of things. I don't catch darters, smaller shiners, and fish that are more appropriate for tanks.

Is this because these nets are not ideal for things like darters or is there another reason? I don't have a partner that shares this hobby so I need a way to catch fish caught more in seines w/o a seine.

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

Is this because these nets are not ideal for things like darters or is there another reason? I don't have a partner that shares this hobby so I need a way to catch fish caught more in seines w/o a seine.

It's hard to catch shiners by yourself. They are fast and stay in moving water. Seines work best for that and used in the normal two man way. You need to find a fellow NANFAn.

There are ways to using a small seine to catch darters by yourself. Stand facing down stream and put the seine farther down stream in front of you and then shuffle/kick into the seine and you will usually get darters, and maybe a madtom.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

It's hard to catch shiners by yourself. They are fast and stay in moving water. Seines work best for that and used in the normal two man way. You need to find a fellow NANFAn.

There are ways to using a small seine to catch darters by yourself. Stand facing down stream and put the seine farther down stream in front of you and then shuffle/kick into the seine and you will usually get darters, and maybe a madtom.

When it warms up I was thinking about trying bait in a soda bottle to catch a madtom. Seems like people have success with that.

#16 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:59 AM

I don't catch most shiners 'cause the smallest allowable mesh in Georgia is too big for most small fish. With a tighter mesh, I'd probably catch shiners just fine, although juvenile Notropis or any size Pteronotropis are just too small for any cast net. I still catch Cyprinella, but even they do a good job of slipping through the mesh.

I also find fish that you (okay, maybe just me) never see in a seine, mainly benthic fish like redhorse or some bigger catfish.

#17 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

I don't catch most shiners 'cause the smallest allowable mesh in Georgia is too big for most small fish. With a tighter mesh, I'd probably catch shiners just fine, although juvenile Notropis or any size Pteronotropis are just too small for any cast net. I still catch Cyprinella, but even they do a good job of slipping through the mesh.

I also find fish that you (okay, maybe just me) never see in a seine, mainly benthic fish like redhorse or some bigger catfish.

All good points k-man... also note that Cyprinella and redhorse are both very strong, very fast fish... they easily evade dipnets and even "bounce" out of seines in a lot of cases... so a cast net does a better gob of surprising them.

#18 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

A minnow trap will catch shiners very, very well. Just be sure to put it where other people won't take it...

#19 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

A minnow trap will catch shiners very, very well. Just be sure to put it where other people won't take it...

That's becasue they are greedy, greedy eaters... which also makes 'em great for your aquarium... gotta love the minners!

#20 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

Pay attention to the cast net mesh size if you're looking for shiners. I found a cast net on sale at wally world and never even considered the mesh size. It will only pull in the largest of shiners/minnows (and one huge logperch).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users