Pickerel tankmates

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

We seem to have discussed to death on this forum the possibilities of keeping pickerel with various centrarchids and catfish, but I don't see any recommendations for a bottom-dwelling fish of sufficient size to survive in the same tank. I have one grass pickerel, currently in a 60 gallon tank (36x18" base) with gravel and bogwood on the bottom. He's about 7 inches right now. Eventually I plan to move him to my 75.

I'm hoping for a bottom-dwelling fish that will ultimately reach between 8 and 14 inches. If on the upper end of that range, it must also be fairly sedentary or it will feel cramped in the tank. If I can't find an interesting native I'm considering one of the smaller pleco species that are commercially traded, but I'd prefer not to do that. Any ideas?

#2 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

We seem to have discussed to death on this forum the possibilities of keeping pickerel with various centrarchids and catfish, but I don't see any recommendations for a bottom-dwelling fish of sufficient size to survive in the same tank. I have one grass pickerel, currently in a 60 gallon tank (36x18" base) with gravel and bogwood on the bottom. He's about 7 inches right now. Eventually I plan to move him to my 75.

I'm hoping for a bottom-dwelling fish that will ultimately reach between 8 and 14 inches. If on the upper end of that range, it must also be fairly sedentary or it will feel cramped in the tank. If I can't find an interesting native I'm considering one of the smaller pleco species that are commercially traded, but I'd prefer not to do that. Any ideas?

Stonecat (Noturus Flavus)?, they reach about 12 inches

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

I am by no means an expert, but I currently have a grass pickerel, a stonecat, and a longear sunfish together. They all seem to ignore each other. The longear and stonecat have been sharing a tank for several months, the grass pickerel was added this summer. It is six or seven inches long now. I'm not sure how long the stonecat is, I rarely see more than its head. It is larger than the pickerel.

#4 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

I am thinking of doing a 125 gallon pickerel and sucker tank.

#5 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

Suckers might be ok. I have a couple bigger fish that may be able to share the tank, but I really want a bottom fish specifically. Big catfish or sunfish make it difficult to keep feeders in the tank. So far I've been able to collect Gambusia once a month and just feed them in the pickerel's tank so they last. My convict breeding project is just now starting to supplement that, but I don't think I have enough feeders to support more than the pickerel in live food.

#6 Guest_jrhodo_*

Guest_jrhodo_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

I've had mottled sculpin in my tank with my pickerel for 3 months. Even the small sculpin haven't been eaten. I think it's because they don't move often so they don't elicit a strike. I won't be surprised if they are eaten someday though.

#7 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

I think either suckers, or stonecats will be your best choice for the tank. You can basically keep any native with a pickerel that is too big to get eaten, and that won't be aggressive towards the pickerel.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users