Any native snail keepers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

I've got 3 species right now: Gyraulus parvus, Physa sp (probably acutus), and Campeloma decisum. I'll post some pics tomorrow :D
Anybody else keep native snails?

#2 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:25 AM

I have a constant struggle to keep pond snails and ramshorns (no IDs) in my tanks. I can breed them readily in separate tubs, but they don't last long in the fish tanks. The very largest ramshorns and the handful of nerites I've found survive though and are interesting to watch.

#3 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:19 AM

MYy darters eat all of the snails i put in my tanks.
pond snails and some kind of ramshorn

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

I've got some local planorbids that I haven't ID'ed yet, some Elimia from the Duck, and some Stagnicola from Reelfoot. I'd like to try to get a reproducing population of the big pleurocerids (I think they're a Goniobasis) that I see in my local reservoirs.

By the by, does anyone know of a good and relatively recent key to aquatic snails that covers Tennessee?

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

Not sure about Tennessee, but I use the FWGNA (freshwater gastropods of North America) website. They have Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia.

I had a couple of what I think were Emilia or something similiar. I wish I at least still had the shells so I could ID them. :/

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

Yeah, I've taken a look at that site. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the aquatic snail faunas on either side of the Appalachians are just as divergent as the fish and mussel faunas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users