Planting question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cjones_*

Guest_cjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

I have a 29 gal aquarium that is set up, cycled, and has some natives that have been established for a few months. I would like to put some plants but I don't know much about planted aquariums. I would prefer not to do CO2 injection and I know lighting is important. Are there plants I can grow without CO2? What lighting setup should I have?

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

You can grow any true aquatic plant you want without adding CO2. Lighting will depend on what you want to grow. What you can grow will depend somewhat on your substrate. For example, not much will grow in pea gravel.

#3 Guest_cjones_*

Guest_cjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:56 PM

You can grow any true aquatic plant you want without adding CO2. Lighting will depend on what you want to grow. What you can grow will depend somewhat on your substrate. For example, not much will grow in pea gravel.

My substrate is sand collected from a nearby stream. I don't want anything to comlpicated just something that would look good flowing in the current from the powehead. Maybe some moss or vals? I really like the way aquatic moss looks.

Edited by cjones, 22 November 2009 - 02:58 PM.

#4 Guest_cjones_*

Guest_cjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

I got some native aquatic moss today while trout fishing, two species they look cool! I put them in, one on driftwod one in the sand. I hope they grow! Any info on lighting? What about for vallisneria?

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:31 PM

The mosses I have tried do fine in ambient light. Vals need a little more light, but a standard aquarium fixture should be enough.

#6 Guest_mudminnow_*

Guest_mudminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

What lighting setup should I have?

Your lighting needs will depend on what plants you plan to grow and how you plan to balance out your aquarium. If you don't plan on adding CO2, I would lean on the conservative side with the lights. I would say about 1.5 watts per gallon of 5500K-6500K PC or T5 type bulbs. Most of the plants that I have grown would do fine with that much light. In my experience, adding much more light than this without adding CO2 or fertilizers results in excess algae growth. Also, I have found with much less light than this, the plants get a little leggy looking (less attractive in my opinion).

#7 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

I have java moss growing in several tanks. All are less than 1wpg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users