Sunfish Pics

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

well i cleaned the tank today and added the driftwood.

my fish really seem to like the driftwood and spend a lot of time in/around/under it, and their colors are really popping because they feel more secure now.

decided to take a few new pics.

here are some of the pumpkinseeds:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and here are a few interesting shots of my bluegill:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

two standard profile shots for good measure ;):
Posted Image
Posted Image

and one of my crayfish, who for the past 2 months or so has been inside my old ceramic log, along with my other crayfish who is currently MIA:
http://i46.photobuck...um/100_5938.jpg

#2 Guest_SlimSanta_*

Guest_SlimSanta_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

I really love the first 3 pics! You just need a bit of greenery in there.

#3 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:53 PM

yeah tell me about it! i haven't had plants in here since june! i had a whole lot of hornwort but that was just a mess.

i am going to the lfs tomorrow and i'm looking to get some elodea, valisneria, and java moss for the wood.

#4 Guest_Radioguy_*

Guest_Radioguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

Looks really good ... healthy, happy fish and good photos.

My Sunfish and Crayfish combo worked well ... for awhile.

Then one morning I looked into the tank and there was a crawdad shell and that was all.

#5 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:42 AM

thanks radioguy.

i've had this particular crayfish in my tank for a little over 2 months, but i had my other one since january, never had any problems with either (except them hiding in the log for months at a time). actually, back when i kept cyprinids, my first crayfish would pinch their tails off sometimes.

#6 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

Nice sunfish. I hope those crayfish are good hiders. :-({|=

#7 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

Nice sunfish. I hope those crayfish are good hiders. :-({|=

They are bound to slip up one day, and the sunfish will be there to reap their rewards of delicous crawdad gumbo. Nice tank but your bluegill seems to be a female, and your pumpkinseeds are excellent looking but wait until the urge to mate srikes them, they will look amazing!

#8 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:57 AM

yeah i thought my bluegill was female too. what made you think this? just the kind of drab coloration?

i was speculating that my bluegill was female, my larger pumpkinseed (pic 3) was male because it has a larger opercular spot, and more intense coloration, and my smaller pumpkinseed (pics 1 and 2) was a female because it barely has an opercular spot and its coloration is not as vivid. just my guesses based on appearance though!

the crayfish i know is male ;) and i hope he sticks around for a while.

#9 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:37 PM

yeah i thought my bluegill was female too. what made you think this? just the kind of drab coloration?

i was speculating that my bluegill was female, my larger pumpkinseed (pic 3) was male because it has a larger opercular spot, and more intense coloration, and my smaller pumpkinseed (pics 1 and 2) was a female because it barely has an opercular spot and its coloration is not as vivid. just my guesses based on appearance though!

the crayfish i know is male ;) and i hope he sticks around for a while.

All the females I've caught look like that one, but it could still be a male. Mine is a male and looks stunning, but he looked drab until I cranked up the heat in the tank.

#10 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

how warm is your water? i have a small heater i could put in here, and just set it to slightly above room temp. maybe this will trigger spawning behavior between the pumpkinseeds (assuming they are not the same sex)!

#11 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

About 76 degrees, but I had it at 80 a few days ago because I was worried my rock bass might have ich and I didn't want to use medications to kill it. Everyone in my tank is spoiled rotten while their cousins in the wild are comatose and living in muck they are getting fat eating like kings and queens and living in warm comfort. :smile2:

#12 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

here's another. i think this one is just awesome. its really clear and the lighting is good and the colors on the fish are just awesome.

Posted Image

#13 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:45 PM

Nice pumpkinseed, yours are very electric-blue, mine is not so spectacular but he has quite a bit of personality and doesn't let having one eye change his life at all. He even has started to try and fight the green sunfish and bluegill for dominance. He gets scraped up but persists.

#14 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:06 PM

my biggest pumpkinseed is the biggest wuss in my tank!

my big bluegill is the most aggressive, followed by my little 2.5" redbreast, then the smaller 3.75" pumpkinseed, then my big pumpkinseed.

#15 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

this time i got some pics of my redbreast sunfish. i haven't really taken many pics of this little guy mainly because he doesn't color up a whole lot. i just got some good pics of him though.

chillin under a log:
Posted Image

peering through some sticks:
Posted Image

pretty much the same picture but with a more greenish cast:
Posted Image

and a cool action shot of him yawning (this one's my favorite ;) ):
Posted Image

#16 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:55 PM

My bluegill is tank boss, then the green sunfish and pumpkinseed squabble for second place. The green can get the pumpkinseed to back down but I am amazed at the little pumpkinseeds' aggression levels, he still tries to bluff the bluegill but soon retreats from him as he tries to rip his fins. The yellow perch can stand up to all of them, and he just chases them but doesn't try to rip fins or bite them. The yellow bullhead ignored the sunfish as they tried to get him to fight them, but I once saw the green sunfish bite his dorsal fin. He then immediately let go, I think he was stung by the catfish, and began to frantically gasp and sunk to the bottom of the tank laying on his side for about fifteen minutes before hiding under the driftwood. He recovered and ignores the yellow bullhead like everyone else suddenly did. The rock basses are ignored by all except each other. Your redbreast is pretty, by the way. They must really be digging that new driftwood, they are really coloring up!

#17 Guest_TonsOfFun5_*

Guest_TonsOfFun5_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

Does anyone know what it means when the fish "yawn"? Ive seen each of my species do it. They open real wide for no apparent reason. Any ideas?

#18 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:29 AM

Does anyone know what it means when the fish "yawn"? Ive seen each of my species do it. They open real wide for no apparent reason. Any ideas?

Either they are sucking in microinvertebrates or actually yawning. I've even seen my yellow bullhead yawn. My yellow perch does it a lot.

#19 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

I don't know, but I have some suspicions. I think yawning may (1) help the fish get its jaws back in a comfortable resting position after feeding or (2) help flush out particles trapped in the gills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users