sleeper gobies native?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

I bought a sleeper gody (a local pet store had two) hopinf it'd be native. I know their are a few native sleepers such as the fat sleeper. I noticed on returning to the pet store that this fat little freshwater guy was called an emerald sleeper despite not being green. Are these native?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

If it's really Erotelis smaragdus, the emerald sleeper, it's native to southern Florida and the northern Gulf of Mexico as well as the Bahamas. But it's more of a marine species, sometimes found in brackish water. Keeping it in freshwater couldn't be good for long-term care; other opinions?

#3 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

If it's really Erotelis smaragdus, the emerald sleeper, it's native to southern Florida and the northern Gulf of Mexico as well as the Bahamas. But it's more of a marine species, sometimes found in brackish water. Keeping it in freshwater couldn't be good for long-term care; other opinions?

Well, the tag in the store didn't have a genus/species name and the fish was in freshwater. It's tag had the name of another fish on it that was crossed out and emerald sleeper written below it.

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:41 AM

I looked up sleeper gobies online and found it's shape and markings much more resemble the fat sleeper here http://www.fishbase....e=404&areacode= than the emerald on the same page. I'll need to get a camera some day and take a picture for identification.

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

Sorry to keep replying to my post (I get new info after it's too late to edit) but the goby isn't an emerald, it's a jade goby. The tag now has the genus and species on it of doritator maculatus making it a fat sleeper thus a native, so a local pet store has a native fish in stock.

#6 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:46 PM

I love those guys. They get really pretty when they're bigger.

#7 Guest_mnemenoi_*

Guest_mnemenoi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

They are everywhere in my local collecting spot and they are lovely when they grow out, very nice coloring. My collection spot is entirely freshwater though I have heard of them being collected in brackish environs...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users