*Department*: Environment Natural Resources
*Division*: ENR SO DS MNS DO PUBPROG Living Collecti
*Type of Appointment*: Perm Full-Time
*Location*: Raleigh
*Posting Date*: 11/30/2009
*Closing Date*: 12/17/2009
*Number of Positions*: 1

*Description of Work*

Aquarist responsible for NC Museum of Natural Science aquatic freshwater and marine exhibits in addition to all associated backup and quarantine systems. Responsible for design and development of aquatic systems for the Museum s expansion including a 10,000 gallon marine aquarium and a 200 gallon coral reef aquarium. Responsible for field collecting or otherwise procuring appropriate specimens for aquatic exhibits and maintaining adequate backup systems. Directly responsible for aquatics facilities as well as the welfare of all the living specimens in aquatic exhibits, backup, and quarantine. Monitor water quality and health of animals and works with the Museum Veterinarian to provide medical care. Participates in regular weekend and holiday rotation schedule. Training and supervision of temporary staff, volunteers, and interns. Responsible for maintaining a database and keeping accurate records. Maintain good working relationship with living collections staff at other NC facilities. Will serve as Museums Dive Safety Officer.

*Knowledge, Skills and Abilities*

Skilled in maintaining a large collection of freshwater and marine fish and invertebrates. Skilled in maintaining large marine and freshwater aquatic systems and able to design and assemble life support with knowledge of current practices for managing large aquatic systems at museums, zoos, aquariums, or academic institutions. Extensive knowledge of natural marine and freshwater environments and skilled in identifying common fish and invertebrates. Work as a team member; supervise staff, volunteers, and interns; organize, interpret and report data; and work independently. Must possess a current SCUBA Diving Certification through an accredited organization with the ability to obtain Advanced Open Water certification, and certification by the Red Cross in First Aid and CPR. Must possess a valid driver s license. Regularly perform physically demanding activities including lifting over 40 pounds, climbing stairs and ladders, working in tight spaces, and standing for the majority of the workday.

*Training and Experience Requirements*

Graduation from a 4-year college or university with a major in biology, zoology, botany, or other natural science curriculum related to the area of assignment and one year of experience in a natural science
field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. *Preferred*: Direct husbandry care for a diverse collection of fish (including elasmobranches) and invertebrates. Extensive experience testing and monitoring water chemistry for marine and freshwater systems being able to demonstrate an in depth understanding of the data collected. Extensive experience open water diving and Advanced Open Water Certification preferred. Additional experience with daily husbandry and management of non-aquatic animals including reptiles, amphibians, birds, mammals, and invertebrates. Experience with basic medical management, health care, and common quarantine practices for fish and aquatic invertebrates. Experience in developing a budget and maintaining an inventory of supplies. Prior experience working with and safely handling venomous animals preferred. Degrees must be from appropriately accredited institutions.

*How to Apply*:

Applicants must complete and submit a separate State Application for Employment form (PD-107), listing the position number and job title for the position applied for. DENR uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection
Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with most qualified individuals. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a State Application for Employment. Original application, signed and dated must be mailed to the contact person listed. Applicants seeking Veteran's Preference for first-time employment with State Government should submit a copy of Form DD-214. All relevant experience must be listed on the PD-107 application form to receive proper credit; any information omitted from the application form cannot be considered for qualifying credit. Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. Applications received after 5:00 p.m. on the "closing date" will not be considered. When a salary range is posted the actual salary will be based on relevant competencies, knowledge, skills and ability, training, internal equity and budgetary considerations pertinent to the advertised position. Degrees must be from appropriately

*Contact Person*:

Rhonda Clapp
Environment Natural Resources
1626 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1626
919-733-7450

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Oh man, time to get that SCUBA certification...

Thanks Gerald!

#3 Guest_JLW_*

Guest_JLW_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

Oh man, time to get that SCUBA certification...

Thanks Gerald!

You and me both. I keep finding great job postings that require it. . . and its the only qualification I'm consistently lacking.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

Derrick you really should. It opens up a world of opportunities in anything aquatic. One of the best classes I took and has helped me out a ton. It will pay you back, and if it doesn't at least is you can go diving places in the future.

Edited by ashtonmj, 22 December 2009 - 06:54 PM.

#5 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Man, I wish I was ready to move to North Carolina. Soon though, soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users