• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

here is a pic of my tank with the plants i wanted:

Posted Image

i'm kinda undecided on whether i like the placement of the plants. i kinda feel like they should be in clusters instead of so evenly distributed. anybody have any suggestions?

Edited by dsaavedra, 05 December 2009 - 09:34 PM.

#2 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:46 AM

I like the look. Which fish is that in the corner? The redbreast?

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

Your tank is incredible, but like you said, I'd plant them in sections. Rather than having a few stems scattered around the tank, you can plant them in several sections of the tank in clumps. You can still space them out in these clumps to make sure they get enough light. I am currently having aquascaping trouble with plant position in my tank, too.

#4 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

I like the look. Which fish is that in the corner? The redbreast?

from left to right:
redbreast, p-seed2 (smaller pumpkinseed), p-seed1, bluegill

#5 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:38 AM

I like the placement of the plants. Give it a while, and each of the plants will have become their own clusters that will look really cool. Awesome tank!

#6 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

Nice looking tank and impressive piece of driftwood! I hate to be the devil's advocate, but do you have any other substrate in there besides gravel?

Blake

#7 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:59 PM

no its just pea gravel

#8 Guest_mudminnow_*

Guest_mudminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

Your tank looks sort of ominous and mysterious--I like it. I think the drift wood is what is really holding the piece together. So, if it were me, I would get a whole bunch more anacharis and hide the right back corner of the wood with it. I would also move your current anacharis towards the right side and leave the left side open. This way you could not see the sawn off end of the driftwood. Rather, the wood would appear to be just the tip of a huge tree.

#9 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

good suggestion! i would like a bunch more anacharis. it was kind of expensive at petsmart though, so i'm gonna have to find it somewhere else.

#10 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:51 PM

Does it not occur locally? I can get buckets of it here.

#11 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

nah i haven't found any locally. all i can find is hydrilla. i will be paying more close attention this upcoming year though.

#12 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

I would seperate the Valls and the elodea (anacharis) and group them together (by species) and place one on the side of the tank. The other in the center and leave the other end of the tank exposed as stated above. The vals and elodea will thinking quickly with adequate nutrients, carbon, and light. Like a val forrest and elodea forrest so to speak.

On that topic what is your plant care game plan?

#13 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

don't have one.

the val's weren't vals they were crypts and they died almost right away. i didn't like them anyway... i'm getting some true vals pretty soon.

a lot of the anacharis keeps getting ripped out of the gravel and torn up by my crayfish. plants in my tank are in a sad state of affairs at the moment. my java moss is doing great though! :D

#14 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

Crayfish will continue to tear apart any plants in your tank. My suggestion would be to remove them if you want the plants to do well. It's unfortunate, because they do help create a naturalistic scene, but they will just decimate the plants. If you want arthropods, ghost shrimp won't harm the plants and even keep things a bit tidy (if you have a lot of them). I have heard that Cajun dwarf crayfish don't eat plants, but I have no experience with them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users