Native "Java" Moss

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cjones_*

Guest_cjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

I found some cool native moss in a trout stream a while back. Ironic when your darters pose better than your plants!

Posted Image

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:43 PM

How's this growing in the tank? Any idea on the ID of it?

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

That moss looks nearly identical to "Moss #2" in ths post.
Knoxville Trip Report
This moss was collected in Knoxville, Tn. I have found that it will (eventually) attach itself to rock or driftwood. It will take some time. Also, I found that it loves current. Mine grew much faster than I ecpected and I eventually had to remove it. The problem is that when it starts growing across your tank, the lower areas of the 'strands' begin to turn brown. It gets very very long and may need some trimming (though I don't know how well it will respond to trimming).

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

That does look very similar to Moss #2. I wonder what that could be. How does it grow in your tank, Will? Being in KY and accessing multiple drainages over the year, I'm surprised that I don't find more moss. I would love to have some in my tank. I once kept some rocks with Riverweed on it...died quickly.

#5 Guest_cjones_*

Guest_cjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

its growing pretty well, I found another species and attached it to some drift wood. Cool stuff I will take some more pics.

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:06 PM

Might be one of the Fontinalis or Fissidens species of mosses.

#7 Guest_cjones_*

Guest_cjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:08 PM

Another species, I attached it to drift wood I hope it takes root! Aslo a better shot of my speckled darter.
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users