Black Bullhead

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

I have a black bullhead that I caught when he was 1" long. He grew to about 3" within a couple of months. He gets plenty to eat and is in a 20g long tank. He has become fairly chubby, but is not getting longer. I am happy about this,but wonder why?
I know their growth can be stunted, but the tank is not that small.

#2 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:24 AM

I think fish grow in spurts, like humans or other animals.

#3 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:38 AM

I think fish grow in spurts, like humans or other animals.

Yep, that is true. I still wonder/hope though. I have had him for 6 months, and as of today he is 2 and 3/4" long from nose to tip of tail.
If he gets over 8" he will have to go out in my pond, where he will probably eat all of the other cool little fish! I'm hoping he will stay small somehow. I see him a lot more often than my madtoms.
I have read other people's accounts of catching tiny bullheads in the spring and by the end of summer they are 8 or so inches long.

#4 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:34 AM

How often does he eat? My little yellow bullhead will eat like pig every day, he comes right to the surface and begs with the other fish when I walk by the tank. He gulps down Hikari Cichlid Gold, superworms, earthworms, minnows and hunts live crickets down like a great white shark hunts seals. He will eat till he looks like a swimming catfish shaped balloon. Then he lies under his log or in the plants or in the rock caves while he digests for a while before coming back out.

Edited by catfish_hunter, 12 December 2009 - 03:35 AM.

#5 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

I have a black bullhead that I caught when he was 1" long. He grew to about 3" within a couple of months. He gets plenty to eat and is in a 20g long tank. He has become fairly chubby, but is not getting longer. I am happy about this,but wonder why?
I know their growth can be stunted, but the tank is not that small.

some fish do grow slower then others.
give him time and he/she will grow.

try this link for some cat info.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/

#6 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

How often does he eat? My little yellow bullhead will eat like pig every day, he comes right to the surface and begs with the other fish when I walk by the tank. He gulps down Hikari Cichlid Gold, superworms, earthworms, minnows and hunts live crickets down like a great white shark hunts seals. He will eat till he looks like a swimming catfish shaped balloon. Then he lies under his log or in the plants or in the rock caves while he digests for a while before coming back out.

Ha! it sounds like you feed yours a lot more than I feed mine. He is pretty fat though. He gets a big cube of frozen blood worms that he has to share with a few other fish twice a day. I also put in a dozen live ghost shrimp once every week or two, as well as blackworms, and occasional other foods.

#7 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

Ha! it sounds like you feed yours a lot more than I feed mine. He is pretty fat though. He gets a big cube of frozen blood worms that he has to share with a few other fish twice a day. I also put in a dozen live ghost shrimp once every week or two, as well as blackworms, and occasional other foods.

They will even attack food if they are too full to eat any more, they just keep spitting it out and nabbing it again, so I think it is instinctive. My Petco seems to run out of ghost shrimp really quick. My yellow bullhead is now swimming after a large cricket and... the cricket is gone! The bluegill, pumpkinseed, and the green sunnie are just demolishing them as they feebly skitter around on the surface, the perch is already full of crickets, they are the most entertaining fish I've ever had, even oscars can't approach them in terms of coolness and 'pet' attitude. I don't even think a pirahana could hurt my guys, they would whup it until it croaked.

#8 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

They will even attack food if they are too full to eat any more, they just keep spitting it out and nabbing it again, so I think it is instinctive. My Petco seems to run out of ghost shrimp really quick. My yellow bullhead is now swimming after a large cricket and... the cricket is gone! The bluegill, pumpkinseed, and the green sunnie are just demolishing them as they feebly skitter around on the surface, the perch is already full of crickets, they are the most entertaining fish I've ever had, even oscars can't approach them in terms of coolness and 'pet' attitude. I don't even think a pirahana could hurt my guys, they would whup it until it croaked.

Heh, yeah I like my bullhead a lot too. My bullhead and my pumkinseed are my two favorites. Very entertaining!

#9 Guest_Radioguy_*

Guest_Radioguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:57 AM

I had three Black Bullheads that I collected when they were about an inch long in a 35 gallon tank which they shared with a couple of Bluegills. After about 3.5 years, had to give them away to a person with a much larger tank.

I really enjoyed them, as they were always doing something entertaining. I had set up a flat rock on top of a few other stones so they had a little house to hide in and they would be in there side by side looking for anything that came by in the current.

They were quite tame over all, but were prone to panic attacks as they got bigger and would take off at full speed and bang into the glass ... or anything else that got in the way. As a result, every now and then they would have sore lips.

They were fun fish for me.

Regards,
Radioguy

#10 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

I had three Black Bullheads that I collected when they were about an inch long in a 35 gallon tank which they shared with a couple of Bluegills. After about 3.5 years, had to give them away to a person with a much larger tank.

I really enjoyed them, as they were always doing something entertaining. I had set up a flat rock on top of a few other stones so they had a little house to hide in and they would be in there side by side looking for anything that came by in the current.

They were quite tame over all, but were prone to panic attacks as they got bigger and would take off at full speed and bang into the glass ... or anything else that got in the way. As a result, every now and then they would have sore lips.

They were fun fish for me.

Regards,
Radioguy

How big were they when you gave them away?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users