Grand opening

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

If you know anyone that should be here, please invite them.

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:07 AM

Whats ethical? I remember when I asked Dredcon to come over to AP I felt a little uncomfortable.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did but I guess I wonder whats ethical in cases like this.

*cough* Richard? Is this unethical?

#3 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:20 AM

I'm glad ya did too.

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

Whats ethical? I remember when I asked Dredcon to come over to AP I felt a little uncomfortable.  
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did but I guess I wonder whats ethical in cases like this.

*cough* Richard? Is this unethical?

US native fish and AP are linked in more than one way.
There is no reason to not ask AP members nor any reason why we should not equally tell others of AP from here.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

Hi, i'm Gerald in wake forest NC; been keeping tropicals all my life since age 6 and natives the past 20 yrs.
currently breeding rainbow shiners, okefenokee pygmy sunfish, least "killie", hopefully others.
dsmith invited me -- THANKS ! Got two questions:

1) What is AP ??

2) What is the purpose & focus of this new forum as opposed to NANFA and NFC forums ?
i.e. why do you (we) want & need another native fish forum ??

gerald, hangin on the Neuse

#6 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:23 AM

First, welcome to the site.

1) What is AP ??  

AP is AquaticPredators.com. It is a forum that some of us are members of and where we pretty much met.

2) What is the purpose & focus of this new forum as opposed to NANFA and NFC forums ?

As it states in "Our Mission" :

"It is our mission to create an educational public forum in which enthusiasts, professionals, hobbyists and others can benefit from the combined knowledge of the membership through information sharing of captive husbandry, conservation, diversity and biology of North American native fishes. "

We feel that forum based communication is better than a mailing list in that it allows conversations to be organized and easily browseable and searchable at the same time. It is allows for parallel discussions to take place as opposed to a serial thread. A forum allows us to bring visuals into play which assists in ID's and stores that information in one location. We also feel that it would be a better tool in allowing people to find others in their region, in order for them to talk about state specific or regional issues or to find sampling partners or just a friend with the same interests.

We are not trying to replace any of the other forums, but fill in where we feel they lack.

All of the people involved in this startup are NANFA and/or NFC members and fully support any and all efforts involving the conservation of native fish.

#7 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

Hi, i'm Gerald in wake forest NC; been keeping tropicals all my life since age 6 and natives the past 20 yrs.
currently breeding rainbow shiners, okefenokee pygmy sunfish, least "killie", hopefully others.
dsmith invited me -- THANKS !  Got two questions:

1) What is AP ??  

Welcome Gerald.

AP (Aquatic Predadtors) is an interactive forum fish keepers of all types. They have the best (in my opinion) native fish forum on the web. AP is an excellent resorce for many of the topcs we'll not cover here (disease and treatment, water quality etc.).
http://aquaticpredat...dex.php?act=idx

I'm not aware of another message board exclusively for native fish. I could be wrong. This forum is designed to have a more navigable format than mailing lists. This forum also allows (encourages) the use of photos along with text for idetification and or comparison of regional differences of the species. This gives this style of communication an advantage over a mailing list that become clogged over debates about the importance of studies that involve the methods that fish capture prey.

#8 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:41 PM

Hi Gerald,

While the others have answered your questions pretty completely, I just thought I would interject a bit.

Like Teleost said, this is, to the best of our knowledge, the only native fish specific forum on the web. I do know that NFC has a similar forum, but on a much smaller scale. I have visited this area in the past and have noticed that it does not get a lot of traffic. We have hopes that this will provide a forum for the exchange of ideas that all native fish enthusiasts can enjoy.

Please let us know if you have any suggestions or further questions that may help us make this a better and more easily used tool.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users