Fishes of Fairfax County

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BUGGEEK_*

Guest_BUGGEEK_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

Fairfax County has recently added a fishes of fairfax county web page together that shows what kinds of fish the biomonitoring group has collected and where they are located. A little self promotion doesn't hurt does it? Let me know what you think!

http://www.fairfaxco...ishes_of_fx.htm

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for posting this! It's pretty easy to see healthy vs. unhealthy streams after looking at the map (the best bets for fish collecting probably being North of Fairfax and Vienna). Some of the abundances seem very strange compared to what I'm used to finding down here in the Rappahannock watershed. So far it looks like those Greenside darters and rainbow darters are sticking to the uplands...

#3 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

Very cool! Obviously, I need to get out and explore more of the county.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:45 PM

Nice stripeback darter picture! Not distinguishing between satinfin and spotfin shiner but no mention of rosyface shiner and a definite on comley shiner? Personally, I'd call the fish in the picture a rosyface shiner and not a comley because of the stitched lateral line and snout shape. Greensides down at Ft. Belvoir?! Wow that makes me scratch my head and ponder some of my notions....

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

Its interesting how many species that are limited to cool streams at higher elevations in NC extend way down into southeastern Fairfax Co. I would have guessed those streams get pretty toasty in late summer, like 80+F?.

#6 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

Some streams in Fairfax County are cold enough to support trout

#7 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

Some streams in Fairfax County are cold enough to support trout

For every season but summer, yes. A couple of streams are stocked with rainbow and (few) brown trout. I doubt there are many holdovers nowadays as the lakes these streams run into are so full of silt that they aren't very deep.

Gerald, I doubt they get to 80+F. Mid-upper 70's, yeah. Most of the streams do flow through wooded areas and there are seeps/springs that pop up around the county that regulate water temp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users