Tilapia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:57 PM

What do you think of stocking tilapia species into pond for algae control?

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

What do you think of stocking tilapia species into pond for algae control?

You would have to check with your state regulations as tilapia is prohibited in a number of states.

#3 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

Sounds like a bad idea. These fish seem to do well wherever they go and displace native species. A colleague of mine is working on escapees from aquaculture facilities in Belize, where they are currently causing major problems. There are better ways of controlling algae depending on the situation. I would try to cut off any N and P inputs if at all possible.

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

I would not do it, especially if there were any chance that they could get into a wild ecosystem. Even still, I would not take the risk. I would use triploid grass carp before I used them and I don't like the idea of them being put into ponds either.

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

I would not do it, especially if there were any chance that they could get into a wild ecosystem. Even still, I would not take the risk. I would use triploid grass carp before I used them and I don't like the idea of them being put into ponds either.

I could be wrong but I'd be willing to say it's not a matter of if the exotic fishes escape, it's a matter of when they escape. I have a question for the forum. Has there been a fish cultured on a large or even medium sized scale that hasn't escaped?

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

I happen to agree Very much here with Histrix that the real key is to reduce the Phosphorus and nitrogen flow into the pond. Rather than using a stop gap measure that could down the line be more of an issue than good, I would suggest looking at ways to address the issue directly.

#7 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:41 PM

I could be wrong but I'd be willing to say it's not a matter of if the exotic fishes escape, it's a matter of when they escape. I have a question for the forum. Has there been a fish cultured on a large or even medium sized scale that hasn't escaped?

Good point. I wasen't talking about the species as a whole though, just this individuals private pond. He may very well be able to contain the fish but again, I would not risk it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users