Efforts To Save Kootenai River White Sturgeon

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

Here's a story on efforts to save the Kootenai River white sturgeon. Same story -- fundamentally alter habitat, overharvest, become concerned as the species enters the extinction vortex, etc. But hope springs eternal.
MSN story

#2 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:53 PM

Neat.

White sturgeon are neat fish but I am sure they live other places than the Kootenai River, right?

Edited by Gambusia, 05 January 2010 - 06:55 PM.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

The Kootenai population is distinct, arguably a different species. It's like different river runs of salmon, all the same species but distinct genetics reflecting a series of adaptations. Everything else is just hatchery salmon...

#4 Guest_JCarpenter_*

Guest_JCarpenter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

Hello Bruce

I was reading an old Outdoor Life magazine today which had a brief article on these same fish I believe...it was talking about how the water level is dropping or something like that and they are getting more and more reports of this fish jumping into boats...even hurting some people. Some claim the fish are doing this on purpose...imagine that - smart fish fighting back... I will have to double check tomorrow as the magazine is at work but I am pretty sure the article is about Sturgeons and I believe it mentions the Kootenai.

Jeff

#5 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

The Kootenai population is distinct, arguably a different species. It's like different river runs of salmon, all the same species but distinct genetics reflecting a series of adaptations. Everything else is just hatchery salmon...

Why would those White sturgeon be a different species from any other White sturgeon?

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

Calling them a different species is too strong. But they are a well-defined population with somewhat different physical features, living geographically separated from other white sturgeon with that separation having lead to adaptation to local conditions. It's part of the variation in nature that we as humans often do a good job of reducing (your mileage may vary, of course).

#7 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

Gotcha

More like a subspecies

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users