bass

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:22 AM

i have recently caught a 1 lb and 3 lb largemouth bass with crocked backs... first thought this could have been a disease in the pond... then we caught mama... 8 lb.. she had a crocked back.. could this be a disease or a genetic screw up?

#2 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:22 AM

did they "fight" normaly?

I would think it would be disease, if they had been deformed at birth they would have probably been eaten, because they swam slower than the rest.

#3 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

What sort of pond is this that you're talking about? Any details? I'm willing to bet that it's from either inbreeding or a nutritional deficiency, possably brought about from the large population.

In the future, this thread would have been better placed in the "Sunfishes and Basses" forum. The bass you speak of (I assume LMB) are members of the centrarchid (sunfish) family.

#4 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

yeah they actually faught harder than ive ever caught a lmb... i mean the 1 pounder faught me for 20 minutes it was insaine lol... this is a private farm pond that is stream fed. If you all are asking if the fish as stunted i would say no. Because all the other 40 or so fish we caught that week were normal size and very ful of life and dark dark dark. Would have to say the were black bass. the deformaty stary right after the second upper fin around were the body starts to taper back towards the tail....when we cut mama open she had alot of eggs that were in the process of being deposited... so we went back a few months later and found a spawning bed full of little babies back in the neck of the pond... 1/10th of the babies had the tail disorder... what is wrong with the pond?

#5 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:14 AM

A lot of different species of fish get this condition. It is usually caused by natural stunting, genetic flaws, parasites, or something else. I saw a large oscar with this condition in a LFS, he was full of zest and life (He was beating the everloving crap out of a 4" Jack Dempsey sharing his tank). My friend had an albino channel catfish that was literally mauled early on in life by an African Mbuna (Read: Crappy African cichlids) He is still alive and kicking.

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:09 PM

... what is wrong with the pond?

I have seen this before when the pond was subject to agricultural runoff (pesticides) - Even humans can be affected by casual contact with the water. You don't even have to drink it. Early warning signs of exposure to 2-methyl-4-hydroethanol are loss of ability to concentrate and loss of certain cognitive skills such as alphanumeric character recognition and ordering, which typically manifest themselves in frequently misspelled words and lack of punctuation. Hopefully you did not handle anything from this pond with your bare hands, or you may be susceptible :-(

#7 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

I have seen this before when the pond was subject to agricultural runoff (pesticides) - Even humans can be affected by casual contact with the water. You don't even have to drink it. Early warning signs of exposure to 2-methyl-4-hydroethanol are loss of ability to concentrate and loss of certain cognitive skills such as alphanumeric character recognition and ordering, which typically manifest themselves in frequently misspelled words and lack of punctuation. Hopefully you did not handle anything from this pond with your bare hands, or you may be susceptible :-(

Yeah I did handle them. The pond has a small herd of cattle that are constantly either near it or in a small section of the pond.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:24 PM

Yeah I did handle them.

I suspected as much :smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users